• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What makes a good cleaner?

Enthusiasm :-)
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    A cleaner I had once said to me "You'll only notice where I haven't been", which I try to bear in mind if I feel irritated by noticing a missed bit, and weigh up that the missed bits are few and far between!
  • Pricivius
    Pricivius Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm on my fourth cleaner so things that annoy me:

- doing other stuff at the expense of stuff I have particularly asked for. Coming home to fluffed sofa cushions and my bed nicely made is irritating when my toilet has not been cleaned, there are beard trimmings round the sink and there is still cat hair in the bath. Focus on what you're asked to do, make that as good as you can, then do anything else time allows.

- confirming you can't make it at 18.30 on the day you were supposed to clean. Let people know as soon as you can.

- knocking the plinth off the bottom of the kitchen island with the hoover and then leaving it and not telling me. It was not much fun getting the cats back out from under the floorboards. Accidents happen - just own up and it can be sorted out.

- agreeing to do x hours for £y an hour and then doing x-0.5 hours for £y+1 and not telling me or giving me any change. If you are not happy with your rate, discuss it!

- using kitchen towel or toilet roll to clean with when there are cloths, brushes, sponges etc under the sink. Use what you are provided with or discuss it if you have a preference or objection.

Maybe I'm fussy and difficult, but I just can't find someone to clean my home properly...
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had a cleaner but I'm hoping to soon. I'd want someone who turns up and does the required hours at the time agreed and informs me in advance when they can't make it.
    My nan had a cleaner and popped home as she had forgotten something, only to find the cleaner sat smoking in the kitchen!
    I'd also want someone who I don't feel is judging me. My work colleague always gets up early on the day his cleaner comes to tidy up because he feels embarrassed!
    For me personally I'd like someone who would use the products I provide and respect cross contamination. I'd hate to think a cloth used to clean my floor had been used on someone else's loo for example!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2017 at 9:20PM
    Options
    My work colleague always gets up early on the day his cleaner comes to tidy up because he feels embarrassed!

A cleaner comes in to clean, not tidy - unless you want to pay for the extra time it takes to clean a messy house, your colleague is very sensible.
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pricivius wrote: »
    I'm on my fourth cleaner so things that annoy me:

- doing other stuff at the expense of stuff I have particularly asked for. Coming home to fluffed sofa cushions and my bed nicely made is irritating when my toilet has not been cleaned, there are beard trimmings round the sink and there is still cat hair in the bath. Focus on what you're asked to do, make that as good as you can, then do anything else time allows.

- confirming you can't make it at 18.30 on the day you were supposed to clean. Let people know as soon as you can.

- knocking the plinth off the bottom of the kitchen island with the hoover and then leaving it and not telling me. It was not much fun getting the cats back out from under the floorboards. Accidents happen - just own up and it can be sorted out.

- agreeing to do x hours for £y an hour and then doing x-0.5 hours for £y+1 and not telling me or giving me any change. If you are not happy with your rate, discuss it!

- using kitchen towel or toilet roll to clean with when there are cloths, brushes, sponges etc under the sink. Use what you are provided with or discuss it if you have a preference or objection.

Maybe I'm fussy and difficult, but I just can't find someone to clean my home properly...
    I've been running my little cleaning company for long while now, I'll comment on highlighted issues.

It's not always possible to let people know cleaner won't be coming in advance, emergencies happen. Yes, cleaners sometimes do get calls from school and need to collect their children.
    Accidents happen, but not always can be sorted out. Sometimes people treat their cleaners : guilty until proven innocent. I've been accused and sacked from something I didn't do.
    I agree cleaner should work arranged time. I don't think it's my responsibility to give change, though. I agreed a rate with customer, they should leave money. I leave change, if I've got some, but if I don't , I don't think customer should be upset if I just take money.
    Kitchen roll is for cleaning too. I find it very good for glass and windows. About cleaning products: there was a thread here long time ago, where someone employed cleaner and gave her Tesco Value kitchen spray. She asked for Flash instead. Someone was wondering should he sack her. Sometimes you just can't please people.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd hate to think a cloth used to clean my floor had been used on someone else's loo for example!

That is the main reason I wouldn't have a cleaner.

I hate cleaning and do the bare minimum (fortunately my husband is the same) but I would not have a cleaner.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It may be a good idea to have a quick meeting with your client before you start, just to get an idea of what he/she is expecting from you.

For example, I wouldn't expect a cleaner to do my ironing, unless specified and agreed beforehand. I would make it clear that I didn't want air freshener sprays to be used (I'm asthmatic)
    I would certainly provide cloths/sponges in both the bathroom and the kitchen, with the understanding that they're not interchangeable!
    I'd leave a notepad and pen for any messages, or requests for products. And I'd leave the right money, I certainly wouldn't expect change, she's not a taxi driver!

I wouldn't begrudge any cleaner a quick fag break, cleaning is bloody hard work! (not in my kitchen though)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    barbiedoll wrote: »
    I would certainly provide cloths/sponges in both the bathroom and the kitchen, with the understanding that they're not interchangeable!

But should you really have to say that to a cleaner? If you do then I would not trust them in my house.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A non smoker!!!

Even if they smoked in their car on the way there, I could still smell traces of it. Just not pleasant!!

My best cleaner just knew what needed doing!

In general, as long as the kitchen and bathroom sparkle, then I am happy...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure