If I close my Santander 123 current account, what will happen to my 5% monthly eSaver?

Options
C2361491
C2361491 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 27 August 2019 at 1:57PM in Savings & investments
I've had some trouble with my Santander 123 current account, and would like to apply for a Nationwide account, and get the switching/closing bonus from them.

I have a 12-month eSaver (at 5%, 200PCM deposit) which is reaching maturity in mid-September. I've already funded it 12 times with my Santander account DD.

On the Santander site it says:

- "Exclusively available to current account customers who are part of 1|2|3 World, Santander Select or Private Banking"

So, what happens if I close my Santander current account (via the switch function of Nationwide)? Will I still get my payout? Or will I become ineligible and get less money?

Will the switching service of Nationwide close my savings account too?

Comments

• Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You will become ineligible for the 5% saver.
    So best to delay your switch until it is mature next month. Not long to wait.
    The switch service deals with current accounts only.
    The savings account will stay with Santander, though if you wait until it's mature you'll probably be closing it anyway..
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Open a 123 lite and switch it or the existing 123 ac. so you'll still have a 123 world status.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2019 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Or time the switch to complete after your regular saver has matured. I believe (you would have to double check) that you can request your switch to occur for up to a month after you apply for it. To be honest, its nearly the end of August now, so commencing the switch process now you might only have to request the completion for a week or two after an immediate request would complete. You would probably want to wait until you've received your debit card, you're set up for online banking and your account is fully up and working before switching anyway
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Nationwide RAF offer gives you 90 days to switch after being recommended, so no need to open and switch at the same time. Simply open the account, get everything working, debit card, online access, payees set up etc, then get yourself recommended for the switch.

But watch out for the Santander regular saver...isn't there a quirk with it depending on how you set your standing order up?
  • Paenymion
    Paenymion Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my previous experience, the regular saver will continue to exist but you simply can't add anymore funds. When it matures it transforms into some other type of account and you can transfer the money + interest out.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The Santander Regular eSaver now auto renews, though its currently only 2.5%

OP if you want to keep one @ 2.5%, I would do as others have suggested and delay your switch until this RS matures.

Open a 123 Lite before the switch completes and move your cashback generating DDs to it before the switch.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The Nationwide RAF offer gives you 90 days to switch after being recommended, so no need to open and switch at the same time. Simply open the account, get everything working, debit card, online access, payees set up etc, then get yourself recommended for the switch.
    ?

9. "The amount of the payment will depend on the offer applying at the time we receive the correctly completed online recommendation form from the recommended friend"
  • C2361491
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone!

To confirm:

I don't want to keep the eSaver, I'm happy to close it and open one with Nationwide.

I just care about getting the interest that I've been saving for a year.

To confirm: the consensus is that I wait until mid-September, right?
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2019 at 2:45PM
    Options
    C2361491 wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses everyone!

To confirm:

I don't want to keep the eSaver, I'm happy to close it and open one with Nationwide.

I just care about getting the interest that I've been saving for a year.

To confirm: the consensus is that I wait until mid-September, right?

Nationwide stopped doing their regular saver a while ago (assuming that's what you mean by e saver?)
    There's no harm in beginning the process now, as you can specify the actual switch date to be after your Regular Saver has matured. But the advice is to wait until your new account is up and running - i.e. you've got the debit card, the PIN number, you're set up for online banking and can add new payees (you need one if those keypad things with Nationwide). Make sure everything is working before you burn your bridges
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure