Buyer made me an offer which I accepted and now wants free postage

Options
I put an item on for auction for 10 days yesterday.

Starting at 99p and 60p postage. I received an offer for 4.00 which I declined . I sent a counter offer of £6. They sent me a new offer of £6 but put a note to say can you include the postage. I didn't notice it and just agreed it. I sent an invoice for £6.60. the buyer is now asking me for free postage. I suppose I need to honour the deal. Why didn't they just offer £5.40.

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn't in say in black and white when you do this that it doesn't include the postage.
    I'd politely flag this to them
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Doesn't in say in black and white when you do this that it doesn't include the postage.
    I'd politely flag this to them

Shall I say something like this
    You are not supposed to make offers on postage. Postage is always added on top. If you don't want the item I will cancel the sale.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you counter offer, it should say that the price does not include postage.

Can you check your offer to see if this is the case ?
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Options
    If the buyer had countered your £6 offer with £5.40 would you have accepted it?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the buyer had countered your £6 offer with £5.40 would you have accepted it?

I was expecting them to say £5 then i might have negotiated. There are similar items at BIN of £15 so I say they are getting a good deal. I just feel it's a bit sneaky. Lucky that it's only 60p.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was expecting them to say £5 then i might have negotiated. There are similar items at BIN of £15 so I say they are getting a good deal. I just feel it's a bit sneaky. Lucky that it's only 60p.

How is it being "sneaky" ? - They asked you to include postage within the £6 , and you ignored the message .I would say they where being sneaky if they offered £6 and later said "please include postage"
  • pikachoiioo
    Options
    Buyer should have offered £5.40 if they wanted it for £6.00 total.

Lesson learned, always read the message before accepting any offers. I sometimes miss messages after people pay me via paypal. One thing I really hate are buyers who buy my item and then start asking me questions about it.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Options

So if you might have accepted £5 then you're onto a winner with £5.40 plus postage :T
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • messia07
    messia07 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    on the subject of ebay offers, is it now common to receive low ball offers from big time ebay members?

ive had luck using "make an offer" in the past as a type of "buy it now" option in my auctions selling to normal people but the offers i am now receiving are quite ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure