PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

End of Tenancy Advice - Unfair Charges

Options
Looking for some advice – I split from my wife at the start of the year and moved into a friends flat. They served me a month’s notice after 4 months as they were struggling to fill the other room (it was rented per room) and have given the entire flat over to a lettings agent.

As some context, they did let me pay the tenancy deposit in increments, and one monthly payment was 3 days late due to a banking issue (I paid a £100 late fee)

When I moved in, I occupied the bigger room, and was instructed not to tell the existing tenant of the small room o my plan to move in there after he moved out (despite this being written in the contract). That would facilitate the tenant being able to move out immediately and qualifying for a refund of half a month’s rent. I followed this through in good faith.

The regular cleaner also told the landlords that I had stored some possessions in the vacant room. I was charged £100 for this.

There were at least a dozen visits by both of the landladys (sisters). Some not with the appropriate notice. They are (were) good friends, so i didn't really ever see this as strange or exercise my rights to say no.

I lost a set of housekeys. They have since charged me £329 to replace a lock. The bill isn’t itemised, but I’ve been charged for 2 locks (one of which I didn’t have the key for). There was nothing traceable on the keys – not even a clubcard or anything of that nature that would the address of the flat on it. The flat is monitored by CCTV, has a porter, a front door that’s automatic and fob accessed. Despite all this, I can slightly understand needing to replace the locks. I’ve been charged for 2 lock replacements (one of which I’ll refuse to pay as I only had one key) and for 2 hours labour.

The bathroom door had one hinge that ended up being shorn off. I literally never shut this door as I had no need (occasionally the doors would slam due to the wind – it’s been a hot summer and I always had the windows open). I also sat on a dining room chair which broke. I’ve been charged £100 in total for these.

I was given a list of things to clean etc before I moved out. I completed these, and right after a painter and decorator (a family friend of theirs) moved in and completed some painting and tiling. He had started this week in my final month of my tenancy – painting all the walls and retiling kitchen and bathroom. I was instructed not to have anything against any wall, essentially reducing the size of my room by 10-15%

I have since been charged for half of a deep clean - £125. This is the first I’ve heard of it. If a tenant is served notice with no misconduct reason etc, is it fair to charge them for a deep clean at all? Bear in mind the Handyman moved right in afterwards, and the flat was not given a deep clean before I moved in.

Are these fair and/or even legal?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking for some advice – I split from my wife at the start of the year and moved into a friends flat. They served me a month’s notice after 4 months as they were struggling to fill the other room (it was rented per room) and have given the entire flat over to a lettings agent.

As some context, they did let me pay the tenancy deposit in increments, and one monthly payment was 3 days late due to a banking issue (I paid a £100 late fee) - to your friends? Why?!

When I moved in, I occupied the bigger room, and was instructed not to tell the existing tenant of the small room o my plan to move in there after he moved out (despite this being written in the contract). That would facilitate the tenant being able to move out immediately and qualifying for a refund of half a month’s rent. I followed this through in good faith. - no idea what this means.

The regular cleaner also told the landlords that I had stored some possessions in the vacant room. I was charged £100 for this. - Why are you paying these fees?!

There were at least a dozen visits by both of the landladys (sisters). Some not with the appropriate notice. They are (were) good friends, so i didn't really ever see this as strange or exercise my rights to say no. - Well that's because you think theyre your friends

I lost a set of housekeys. They have since charged me £329 to replace a lock. - seems reasonable excessive The bill isn’t itemised, but I’ve been charged for 2 locks (one of which I didn’t have the key for). There was nothing traceable on the keys – not even a clubcard or anything of that nature that would the address of the flat on it. The flat is monitored by CCTV, has a porter, a front door that’s automatic and fob accessed. Despite all this, I can slightly understand needing to replace the locks. I’ve been charged for 2 lock replacements (one of which I’ll refuse to pay as I only had one key) and for 2 hours labour. - Ok so refuse

The bathroom door had one hinge that ended up being shorn off. I literally never shut this door as I had no need (occasionally the doors would slam due to the wind – it’s been a hot summer and I always had the windows open). I also sat on a dining room chair which broke. I’ve been charged £100 in total for these. - Might be reasonable

I was given a list of things to clean etc before I moved out. I completed these, and right after a painter and decorator (a family friend of theirs) moved in and completed some painting and tiling. He had started this week in my final month of my tenancy – painting all the walls and retiling kitchen and bathroom. I was instructed not to have anything against any wall, essentially reducing the size of my room by 10-15% - and you didn't tell them to foxtrot Oscar?

I have since been charged for half of a deep clean - £125. This is the first I’ve heard of it. If a tenant is served notice with no misconduct reason etc, is it fair to charge them for a deep clean at all? Bear in mind the Handyman moved right in afterwards, and the flat was not given a deep clean before I moved in.

Are these fair and/or even legal?

Yes, no, maybe? Cant read your contract from here.

BUT I assume your deposit isn't protected (as it's paid in increments) so just sue them.
  • renterfirsttime
    Options
    Thanks - i guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm not being unreasonable.
    My nature in general is non-confrontational so normally i'm along the lines of 'yes, do this, take this money and leave me alone' and I had bigger fish to fry with the breakdown of my marriage and the repercussions surrounding that
    Also, I was going through a traumatic period. My marriage ended suddenly, and for a couple of months I was either suffering from Sleep Deprivation or was suffering inertia from Sleeping Tablets (first time I've ever taken them, and they really made me groggy during the day).
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks - i guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm not being unreasonable.
    My nature in general is non-confrontational so normally i'm along the lines of 'yes, do this, take this money and leave me alone' and I had bigger fish to fry with the breakdown of my marriage and the repercussions surrounding that - yes I figured that out. After you've sorted that get assertiveness training. Otherwise people will always take advantage.
    Also, I was going through a traumatic period. My marriage ended suddenly, and for a couple of months I was either suffering from Sleep Deprivation or was suffering inertia from Sleeping Tablets (first time I've ever taken them, and they really made me groggy during the day).

Can you confirm whether the deposit is protected or not? And have you actually moved out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure