Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We have livestock auctions nearby - I haven't seen chickens there but I normally just see the cattle trucks so it may be that they sell them and I haven't been close enough.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    18th:
    Pet food 50p
    Hospitality £4.80
    Housekeeping £5.78

Morning run - note to self: it's far easier when it's cooler.

20th:
    NSD, no run.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Sounds very good for the garden. Hope the cuttings root and take.

Re the hens...do you have any agricultural auctioneers near you? The sales I've been to have been organised by such auctioneers.

I've just looked on their website, Honeysucklelou2... no chickens. I'd better not actually go or I may come back with three sheep and a pig!

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Three sheep and a pig sounds good. What about a goat or two? ;)

Thats a bargain for a chicken coop. Well spotted.

I cant believe you are running in this weather. Even first thing its so hot. You're tough.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 20 June 2017 at 10:41PM
    Options
    The running was crazy - probably not a wise decision though it all builds my fitness and I now know not only that I can do it, but also that I can only just do it. :D

I actually have two days off... but lots to do as ever. I'm going to take a leaf from Treadingonplaymobil's book and make a list of things to do, with a sub-list of things to eat up. I know I need milk and things like that but there is far too much in the cupboards and freezer so it's time to be creative. The trouple is that often means buying more to help use things up...

Things to do today
    • get dressed done
    • go for a run done
    • clear dining room table (everything needs a proper home) not done
    • do piano practice done
    • hoover not done

Things I ought to do soon
    • Find European Health card
    • Plan a meal done: we had chicken from the freezer, veg and potatoes from the cupboard.
    • Fill planters
    • clean bathroom
    • Pay cheque in
    • buy sharp sand for my rose cuttings
    • take item back to shop
    • go and try on gorgeous shoes *I know this is a luxury but it's for the wedding and after months of searching and 3 not-quite-right pairs which may go back to 3bay, I have seen a pair that meet my original spec and which I would wear again if only they are comfortable... but they cost a lot!
    • ironing
    • sort out my shoes

Food to use up
    • milk 1 pt left, used 1 in rice pudding for DS, bought 6 more pints!
    • desiccated coconut
    • caramel
    • smidgeon of dark brown sugar
    • custard powder
    • yeast sachets
    • mung beans
    • flaked almonds
    • mincemeat
    • green lentils
    • dates
    • walnuts
    • quinoa
    • currants
    • onions - a million left, put half of one in lunch and fried a couple to accompany dinner.
    • peppers - nine and a half left, used 1/2 in lunch
    • oil from chargrilled peppers used some to fry onions
    • corn on the cob (5 left, used one for lunch)
    • eggs - used 2 for lunch, 2 to go
    • carrots used a couple
    • potatoes used half the old ones and there are still two part-bags of new.
    • assortment of cheeses
    • to be continued, that's just the start...

2pm update
    I have a sneaking suspicion the word 'update' is poor English but it's attached itself to my vocabulary, yes mine!.. though I still refuse to use 'access' as a verb! :D
    Dressed, pulled a load of stuff out of the desk and begun to sort. No sign of the Health Card yet but it was an outside chance I suppose. Now I have to find homes for all the paperwork, balloons, elastic bands, old photos etc. that are on the floor. Load of laundry done, some winter clothes bagged up to put away, one load of hand washing to complete soonish. Rice pudding made for DS, egg-and-veg dish that entirely failed to be an omelette, for me. Going to have another go at making coffee soon: milk is all in date but the weather is making it separate (hence rice pudding). I've dead-headed a couple of roses and I'm going to add filling planters to my longer-term list.
    22.30 update
    Still no sign of the Health Card. If it doesn't turn up tomorrow, it's time to send for a replacement. I did some piano practice and had my piano lesson, went for a run with DH and cooked tea. Pretty tired this evening so we watched telly and DH sorted out travel insurance while I tidied up the results of tidying the desk.

Spends:
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Milk £1.48
    MS stuff:
    Cooked from the cupboards
    Found an old savings book that appears to have about £100 in! I thought the account was closed long ago. Need to add that to my to-do list.
    Found even more stationery in the desk. I could open a shop if only people wanted half-used notepads but at least I won't need to buy any for ages. I generally email!

• Cherryfudge
    edited 21 June 2017 at 11:40PM
    Options
    Today's MS efforts will be centred on Eating From The Larder/Fridge/Freezer. DS is broke and has agreed to a couple of nights away with friends. I think I'll do a spot of baking so he can eat before he goes. If I get round to making tortilla wraps that might be useful as he gets through a lot of them and doesn't seem to think they are worth making at home.

I had a good look through cupboards and fridge and found a measly 14 jars of things to spread on toast, so I'll add them to my 'Eat up' list. Most of them are part gone. My friend makes jam and I make marmalade, in case you were wondering!

I might make coleslaw... I've put some elderly cabbage and carrots in a bowl of cold water to perk up.

Here is my amended food list (still by no means exhaustive): Orange is the night time total.
    Food to use up
    7.5 pints milk
    desiccated coconut
    caramel
    smidgeon of dark brown sugar
    custard powder
    yeast sachets
    mung beans
    flaked almonds
    mincemeat
    green lentils
    red lentils
    dates- one packet finished in scones, one to go
    walnuts -now in scones
    quinoa
    white rice (not nice!)
    Arborio rice
    currants
    a million onions - now 999,999 onions
    9.5 peppers - now 9 peppers
    oil from chargrilled peppers
    5 corn on the cob
    2 eggs - sadly, binned. Now 12 eggs.
    4 carrots - now 1 carrot
    half a cabbage
    fresh pineapple
    5 overripe bananas (sigh)
    3 tomatoes - now two tomatoes
    8 apples
    half tin baked beans
    potatoes - some old ones and two part-bags of new.
    assortment of cheeses
    14 jars of spreadables for toast
    4 assorted gravies
    vegetable suet
    1 very full freezer but I've taken four meals from it over the last couple of days Now six meals from the freezer.
    To be continued, that's just the start...

I'm not going to list the things we use a lot of (like sauces, pasta or brown rice) unless they are short-dated.

Other MS stuff needs attention too: I'm just going to check the bank balances and cc.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    And as regards the mortgage (ours, not the one on Mum's house) - I've decided I'm going to do some sums and try to work out if it's worth saving the £1000 it would cost to get an offset mortgage. That way, not only could I cut our present excessive mortgage rate by fixing, but as soon as we get Mum's house sold (now looking at 2018 or later, not 2017), the money will go into the account and reduce our costs significantly.

I really wish I were better at Maths! It isn't for want of trying but I find mathematical concepts very difficult and elusive and almost impossible to visualise... I did try, honestly, and I go on trying but I get mixed up very easily and to make matters more confusing, numbers transpose themselves when I deal with them. I have to take a lot of care when giving phone numbers for instance, because 012345 could easily come out as 032145. (Sigh).

Anyway, this is probably why no one ever tried to give me an offset mortgage but it sounds like a pretty toy to me, given my circumstances.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    One of the websites was down so I haven't managed to check all the finances but what I saw seems okay.

I have made up two planters and potted on a couple of plants: three planters still to go but I'm out of commercial compost and not sure about using compost straight from the bin even though it's been composted since last year.

No run today: a rest day.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £5.01

MS stuff:
    Used up cherries and walnuts to make loads of scones.
    Used freezer stuff and cupboard random items to make a chicken pie, salad and cous cous for dinner, with an extra portion for DH later in the week.

Confession time:
    I messed up the scones (usually I have no problem but this time I mixed up the proportions then forgot the raising agent!).
    Because the scones were messed up I will probably eat them for breakfast and lunch for a couple of days, thus sabotaging my diet, instead of feeding them to people.
    Totally lost track of calories between eating scones and making pie. Apart from the pastry the dinner wasn't too fattening though.
    Ruined a pair of jeans - they are now in the bin with indelible paint down the front and a strong smell of turps sub. They were my go-to pair as well. :( I feel a browse of 3bay coming on...

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Sounds like you're having a productive week! I do like a good list.

I'm a fan of kitchari to use up mung beans (lots of recipes if you google). Very hippy, but I always feel healthy after eating it, especially with a big side of veggies.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I'm a fan of kitchari to use up mung beans (lots of recipes if you google). Very hippy, but I always feel healthy after eating it, especially with a big side of veggies.
    Thank you! I'll have a look... I've gleaned some good recipes via this forum and another is always welcome!

P.S. Well done for making it through the list ;):D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport