Technology that you avoid

Options

Comments

• dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    Anything with the word "smart" is to be avoided, a pet hate of mine that word when used in a tech way!!!
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    Any voice controlled device ,they just don't work with my voice.

Smart Meters, just a con to do away with meter readers .

Cars that don't have an ignition key, just a dongle and a button on the dash . I thought that would go wrong when I hired one and it failed.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find myself resisting smart light hubs and bulbs.
    Not sure why-takes a bit of effort to find ses small screw smart bulbs-though they can be purchased online via 3rd party sites.
    Yet to be convinced at the investment required to setup.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people without Voice controlled tech appear to think it doesn't do much.
    It's not for everyone, but then again, neither was the remote control.

I can't remember anyone complaining about remote controls (well except for the VCR ones connected by wires that the dog chewed), but anyway. Pray enlighten me.
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Spidernick wrote: »
    Beware of toasters trying to take over the world! :eek: ;)

Jogged my memory......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »
    Any voice controlled device ,they just don't work with my voice.

Smart Meters, just a con to do away with meter readers .

Cars that don't have an ignition key, just a dongle and a button on the dash . I thought that would go wrong when I hired one and it failed.

What's wrong with your voice? Our Google home understands the 3 year old in the house who has difficulty with G's, C's and F's....:D
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I can't remember anyone complaining about remote controls (well except for the VCR ones connected by wires that the dog chewed), but anyway. Pray enlighten me.
    I don't recall saying anyone complained about them..
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My car is 'half keyless' in that I open it with a button press, but the key folds out from the fob and is used to start the engine. What I love about the car and my phone, is the way that I can Bluetooth - connect both and put the phone in a cradle, to use the phone hands-free and communicate via the audio system. If in busy traffic, I ask the caller to wait until I can call back. The cradle is in a useful small 'A' pillar side window, and out of most of my field of view

This may not be new to most of you, but at 73 I find that using the Tech that is actually useful to my needs, is the stuff I will use.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »

Smart Meters, just a con to do away with meter readers . ...

Can't see any great harm in automating something that must be very tedious and labour intensive to do manually - what did switchboard operators do when direct dial phones were invented?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,007 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I avoid anything with an apple on it - pay double for the same tech so you can be locked into a walled garden and overcharged for everything else - no thank you.

Having a zillion pointless apps that just reproduce website functionality with a bespoke interface. Phones can do the internet in a browser, why waste the effort building a second interface as an app. On the www does every website insist that you download and install a program before you can browse the content? So why the insistence we do this on our phone - I guess the answer is more walled gardens; on the www you might well check the price of the book you are buying whereas once you are invested by installing the Amazon app you won't bother.....
    I think....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport