PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Still waiting on conveyancer to send me my help to buy ISA bonus

Options
I completed and got the keys to my property last week. The process of buying hasn't been an enjoyable one for me, because I had a terrible conveyancer working on my behalf. I honestly have to wonder she was just doing things out of spite.

I'm still waiting for them to send me the Help to buy ISA bonus. This is an inconvenience for me as I have various things I'm needing to pay for in order to settle into my new home.

I sent the HTB ISA closure statement and first-time buyers declaration a long time ago. As part of completion fees I paid £50 for them to apply for the Help to buy bonus, so I'm not quite sure why they aren't sending it.

I called the office yesterday and she said I'm on her to do list and that she would sort it out yesterday. Still nothing.

I was wondering what my rights are in terms of expediting this?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The HTB ISA bonus is to be used for your deposit only and get's sent to your solicitor directly to use only for this purpose.

If it wasn't on your completion statement and added to the total funds that means you have lost it and it will have to be sent back to the scheme (if they ever received it)
  • whatdoyouthink...
    Options
    As above, you don't get the bonus paid directly to you, it should have been included in the completion statement you received from your solicitor.

The bonus can't be used to buy things for your house. I think you may have been misinformed if you were told otherwise - which I was, but I was aware it couldn't be.

As you've said you got the ISA closing statement to your solicitor in good time, and if they've not sorted it for you before completion (as you've paid them to) then I'd be looking to get the solicitor to send me a nice cheque!
  • sugarbabe84
    sugarbabe84 Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    As above, you don't get the bonus paid directly to you, it should have been included in the completion statement you received from your solicitor.

The bonus can't be used to buy things for your house. I think you may have been misinformed if you were told otherwise - which I was, but I was aware it couldn't be.

As you've said you got the ISA closing statement to your solicitor in good time, and if they've not sorted it for you before completion (as you've paid them to) then I'd be looking to get the solicitor to send me a nice cheque!

Thanks for this. This is what they said to me before completion:

‘Good Morning,

I hope you’re well.

In readiness for completion on the 29th June, please find enclosed the final completion statement for your information.

In respect of your ISA Bonus I can advise this is not included on the completion statement as we cannot confirm this will be received prior to completion. Therefore, if you could please confirm your bank details we will transfer the bonus to you once received.

Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me’

Do you think it’s possible they have messed up and are bringing economical with the truth?

This Help To Buy Bonus meant a lot to me and I emailed them about it on many occsssions. If that’s the case what would you suggest as my best course of action?
  • OnTheLadder
    OnTheLadder Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Our solicitor sent our help to buy bonus to us after completion. It totalled about £2,500 and our solicitor transferred to our chosen bank account. We therefore used it towards new things for the house. This was just over a year ago.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our solicitor sent our help to buy bonus to us after completion. It totalled about £2,500 and our solicitor transferred to our chosen bank account. We therefore used it towards new things for the house. This was just over a year ago.

This is definitely a breach of the rules and they would have to send the money back if the help to buy scheme found out this happened. What was the reason the bonus didn't arrive in time for completion?.
  • sugarbabe84
    Options

That’s good to know. I was just about to send the conveyancer an email to enquire if there are any issues.

Didn’t you find it frustrating to receive it after completion? I was hoping to have mine on the completion statement as I had factored it into my buying costs.
  • sugarbabe84
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    This is definitely a breach of the rules and they would have to send the money back if the help to buy scheme found out this happened. What was the reason the bonus didn't arrive in time for completion?.

I suspect they will have to breach the rules in my case. If I don’t get it then I’ll have to take this up with the legal ombudsman
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone post a link to the rules where it says you can only use it for a deposit? I would be interested to see this as I have heard different many people.
  • takman
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bass_9 wrote: »
    Can anyone post a link to the rules where it says you can only use it for a deposit? I would be interested to see this as I have heard different many people.

From: https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa/how-does-it-work/
    Receive bonus: when you are close to buying your first home, you will need to instruct your solicitor or conveyancer to apply for your government bonus. Once they receive the government bonus, it will be added to the money you are putting towards your first home. The bonus must be included with the funds consolidated at the completion of the property transaction. The bonus cannot be used for the deposit due at the exchange of contracts, to pay for solicitor’s, estate agent’s fees or any other indirect costs associated with buying a home.
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    takman wrote: »

Many thanks takman, that's really helpful.

But having read that, is it right that can't be used for the deposit, but it goes towards completion? Sorry the bold text made sense but the following sentence has confused me slightly. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure