Living payday to payday. How many people do it?

Options
Pretty self explanatory, how any of you live payday to payday or know someone who does? How can you help people who live payday to payday?

Comments

• Bloomberg
    Options
    Pretty self explanatory, how any of you live payday to payday or know someone who does? How can you help people who live payday to payday?

I would guess that in the current economic climate there are millions of people living hand to mouth. I read an article somewhere which claimed that the average family has £165 per month going out than coming in.

I don't personally live hand to mouth but still have a healthy respect for money and am careful not to waste it. Without meaning to disparage anyone or comment on individual cases many people are suffering now because when the times were good they were not making any provision for a rainy day.

You asked how you can help people living payday to payday, you can either give them some of your hard earned cash or refer them to this website.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Without meaning to disparage anyone or comment on individual cases many people are suffering now because when the times were good they were not making any provision for a rainy day.
    If only Gordon Brown had considered this.

Spending all your money each month (or even borrowing extra) is flawed. Your car will break down. Your washing machine will stop mid-cycle or your television will die of old age.

While you cannot predict when these things will happen you know for sure that it will come. Save for the inevitable nasties.

So stick 10% or more of your pay in a savings account in anticipation of some of life's mess inevitably coming your way. Then you cope.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Countries aren't like people - many countries run a budget deficit.

If he had managed the property market and regulated the banks alot better then the UK would be in a much stronger position.
    opinions4u wrote: »

Spending all your money each month (or even borrowing extra) is flawed. Your car will break down. Your washing machine will stop mid-cycle or your television will die of old age.

While you cannot predict when these things will happen you know for sure that it will come. Save for the inevitable nasties.

So stick 10% or more of your pay in a savings account in anticipation of some of life's mess inevitably coming your way. Then you cope.
  • GooliesOfFire
    GooliesOfFire Posts: 385 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2013 at 1:19PM
    Options
    I may be living like that from mid 2013. My wife is going to be on maternity leave from February.. We won't be overpaying our mortgage and our small savings will disappear quickly I imagine.

My fault really.
  • Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »

Although the last government made a mess of things there are still many people who have overstretched themselves and made a rod for their own backs. Irresponsible lending cannot happen without irresponsible borrowing. Each individual has a responsibility to borrow/live within their means. For too long too many people have looked at their houses as ATMs and have clawed out every last bit of equity.

If people had religiously saved 10% of their income then they would be far better off now. It gives me no pleasure to say this but the worst is still to come for those who have been reckless. Interest rates will one day have to rise and there will be so many casualties. Those who are only just managing to pay their mortgages now are effectively on borrowed time.

Debt; 'An ingenious substitution for the slave masters whip and chain.'
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • Jules2012
    Jules2012 Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    I feel sorry for people who have kids and have to struggle month to month but I guess everyone needs to sort out there own finances. The best way to help someone is to help them to budget and be more economical.
    Bad luck breeds bad luck.

Damn I'm doomed.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2013 at 9:17PM
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »

If he had managed the property market and regulated the banks alot better then the UK would be in a much stronger position.
    Brown's stated aim was to balance the budget over the economic cycle. 7 years.

He then changed it to 9 years. And then 11.

He still failed.

The banks created his rainy day. If they hadn't done something else would have. He failed to prepare for the inevitable.
  • lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    My parents have always lived payday to paydo for as long as I can remember, mainly due to my father having to retire from work at a pretty young age due to illness and my mum having to run the house etc.
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

A country is simply the aggregate of a lot of people. Debt still has to be repaid.

"I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the future." (Gordon Brown in his 1997 Budget speech.)

Oops.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Bloomberg wrote: »
    I would guess that in the current economic climate there are millions of people living hand to mouth. ...

I'd go for billions. The world is a big place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure