Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2015

Options

Comments

• masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    We're not very familiar with the MGM programme and as we can normally get 5 comped nights at a CET property and 4 (between us) at Cosmo up front, we normally go that route. But I'm getting a bit tired of CET properties now and would consider MGM, but the most we can get up front is normally 3 nights at the lower end properties and 2 at the better properties. It's hard to pass up free up front for maybe free later. Can you give a little info on the process for the comps you received? Did you have to go to the mlife booth toward the end of your stay and ask, or?? Really curious.

I was rated pearl when i went, and had 3 nights up front comped in a suite at exaliber. For this they rated it at $800 worth (i disagree with that but ho hum) so i gave $2000 coin in over 3 days to give a little back.

I then checked in Montecarlo and over the 9 nights i played slots each day and averaged $8000 a day "coin in" i made gold level and was over half way to platinum. Upon check out as i was gold level i went into the private checkin/out office and asked if i had any back end comps - The lady phoned the on call host who looked at my play file and credited off $2000 plus resort fees. (in doing this they took off 50,000 tier credits, but this makes no difference to me).

It took several years and trips for me to figure out how to get comped as i was a blackjack and poker player who over 2 weeks would play about $50k worth back and forth.

I was told i need to play slots as well and do a few thousand a day to back up my table play. So whenever i go vegas now i always play slots for a hour or two a day (mainly buffalo machines) This last trip i got one hand pay on there for $1237. But i ended up playing slots for about 4-5 hours a day and no table play as i got an awful cold and couldnt do any of my plans or really go out anywhere.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was rated pearl when i went, and had 3 nights up front comped in a suite at exaliber. For this they rated it at $800 worth (i disagree with that but ho hum) so i gave $2000 coin in over 3 days to give a little back.

I then checked in Montecarlo and over the 9 nights i played slots each day and averaged $8000 a day "coin in" i made gold level and was over half way to platinum. Upon check out as i was gold level i went into the private checkin/out office and asked if i had any back end comps - The lady phoned the on call host who looked at my play file and credited off $2000 plus resort fees. (in doing this they took off 50,000 tier credits, but this makes no difference to me).

It took several years and trips for me to figure out how to get comped as i was a blackjack and poker player who over 2 weeks would play about $50k worth back and forth.

I was told i need to play slots as well and do a few thousand a day to back up my table play. So whenever i go vegas now i always play slots for a hour or two a day (mainly buffalo machines) This last trip i got one hand pay on there for $1237. But i ended up playing slots for about 4-5 hours a day and no table play as i got an awful cold and couldnt do any of my plans or really go out anywhere.
    your betting $1000s of dollars a ay in vegas yet your on a money saving site :rotfl:
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Kernow666 wrote: »
    your betting $1000s of dollars a ay in vegas yet your on a money saving site :rotfl:

The reason why he has so much disposable income of course may be because he saves money in other areas ! Most people I know who you'd consider to be wealthy tend to be very money savvy -so have plenty to spend on their leisure.

As a matter of interest do you comment to your customers on how much money they are changing at your Travelex branch and tell them if you think they are extravagant or not ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clarify, coin in of $8000 a day is not how you are seeing it, i can get $8000 coin from $100 if the machine keeps winning and replaying the same funds.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to clarify, coin in of $8000 a day is not how you are seeing it, i can get $8000 coin from $100 if the machine keeps winning and replaying the same funds.
    I'm just never that lucky. Thanks for the explanation earlier btw.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options

I want your luck on the slots ! ;)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    Upon check out as i was gold level i went into the private checkin/out office and asked if i had any back end comps - The lady phoned the on call host who looked at my play file and credited off $2000 plus resort fees. (in doing this they took off 50,000 tier credits, but this makes no difference to me).

thanks for the info. back in the day when we were still staying at Excalibur we did have some comps at the end of the stay when we asked...so not much different to your experience. I think for us it's difficult to make the switch between comped up front and partly comped up front maybe more comped at the end - free up front is hard to pass up...but we do kind of want to try MGM more and see what it might bring. I just think I like the CET system where I can log in, see what comped nights we can get and book them...some of the mlife comps are bookable online and others you have to call for...somehow I find that annoying.

we didn't realise how close we were to gold when we left last trip - only about 6k credits to go but we won't be back until after the tier year is up...we were annoyed when we realised that. We don't really chase comps or tier levels, but that's pretty close and probably we would have wandered over to MGM properties vs others if we had realised. We did have a few comped nights at MC last trip and Mirage previous trips, but they have always been secondary/double booked hotels and so we haven't always actually stayed in the rooms...I think if we were actually staying at an MGM property for a 5 nights we might make gold without trying.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    The reason why he has so much disposable income of course may be because he saves money in other areas ! Most people I know who you'd consider to be wealthy tend to be very money savvy -so have plenty to spend on their leisure.

We are by no means wealthy, but agree with this in principle. Our Vegas trips and our gambling budget is our only real extravagance and if we didn't watch what we spend elsewhere, our trips would have to be a lot different. We don't tell people what our gambling budget is anymore as it normally brings about shocked expressions and comments...and while we can usually rattle off any number of things the shocked people spend money on that we think is a waste (and in many cases far exceeds our gambling budget), we don't...because it's their money and not for us to judge how they spend it (even if we think they're bonkers ;))...but somehow gambling (which we consider buying entertainment) is fair game for people to have a go about.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Seldom_Seen_Kid
    Options
    gizmat wrote: »
    a question re lowcostusa, I travel in two week and have just got my voucher for the signature, as it doesn't say which tower I am in,can somebody tell me what happens on arrival ie where do I go?

You can check in at anyone of the 3 towers, it really does not matter. Arriving by taxi, the first tower you will reach is tower 3.

We normally just get a taxi to MGM, and then walk it through to Signature. This might seem sad, but we stayed at MGM for our first LV trip and I love just repeating that moment of pulling up at the hotel and just seeing everything in front of me.
  • flopsy1973
    flopsy1973 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hi
    im looking to go to new york for 2 nights and vegas for 7 in Sept iv had a quote from travelbag for around £2700 for the 2 of us. Anyone know of any other deals or websites i can try?. Im wondering would it cheaper to leave the hotel until they have a special offer on or book the whole thing now? any help would be great
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure