Any platform where I can buy funds?

Options
2»

Comments

• patient_investor
    Options
    torrence wrote: »
    I know it seems odd. But I have investments wrapped in SIPPs and ISAs and have to complete non-UK tax returns as well as in the UK. Non-UK tax need to know what dividend income was received annually within 30 days of the year end - so UK paperwork to April is no use. I have to find a way to produce as accurate a figure as possible, but without being forced to sell all the accummulation units and buy the income version and stop automatic dividend reinvestment. If there is no way to accurately know what dividend was accummulated in the funds then I will have to sell of course. Just hoped to avoid it!
    That's really odd. In the UK, you just put things into ISA/SIPP and forget about it, no reporting needed whatsoever.
    Which country forces you to do this?
    Are you resident of the UK for tax purposes or other country? If you are tax resident of other country, you may find yourself in a position where you should not invest more into your ISA (you can only hold onto your existing investments), check your platform policy. If that's the case you can't buy anything anyway, only sell or transfer out.
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

If I could hold 10 income units of each fund in a normal dealing account, I could then easily calculate dividend income on the number of units held in my wrapped investments.

Thanks!

Spend a fiver and get a calculator that does decimals ?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Spend a fiver and get a calculator that does decimals ?
    Or save yourself the fiver and use whatever device you're posting from! ;)
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    pioruns wrote: »
    That's really odd. In the UK, you just put things into ISA/SIPP and forget about it, no reporting needed whatsoever.
    Which country forces you to do this?
    In the UK, *if* you are UK resident and domiciled, you just put things in and forget about it with no tax reporting. But an ISA is a UK device which only protects from UK tax. It doesn't protect against foreign tax.

So, it stands to reason that if you were resident in some foreign country X who levied taxes on their residents' worldwide income and gains (or not resident in that foreign country, but subject to their citizenship-based taxation), the ISA would not exempt you from tax in X or from reporting of assets to X

At the same time, that other country X might have a tax wrapper available that could protect your income and gains and assets from that country's taxes, but such a wrapper may not work to protect you on UK's or other third country Y's foreign taxes on those assets, incomes and gains, and there may be limits on what you can put into it when.

However, I stil think buying a specific whole number of income shares to see what income would have been available for distribution if your main holding of ACC shares had been a different share class with a different NAV pier share, which it wasn't... is a pretty useless thing to do. Especially when the NAVs and distribution-per-share figures of Income units are published anyway.

And if looking simply at what yield per share the Inc class offers as a proxy for what the Acc units *might* be accumulating - there is nothing about whole units of shares that helps you find the yield per share. The yield percentage is just what dividend got locked in on ex div day, divided by what the NAV was at that point; both pieces of data being public domain info.
  • torrence
    torrence Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 27 January 2020 at 4:15PM
    Options
    Answers to points made:

No I'm not adding anything into the ISA or SIPP.

Buy a calculator. Ha ha!

No it's not unsusual. If you are liable to pay tax in more than one country each may require you to complete a tax return and declare all sources of income (regardless of whether they tax you - you still have to declare it).

Yes it looks like buying the Income version in a dealing account and using that to calculate dividend income on the equivalent Accummulation units won't give the correct result.

So unless you have Income units then the exact amount of dividend received inside an ISA or SIPP with Acc units is very hard to establish.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So unless you have Income units then the exact amount of dividend received inside an ISA or SIPP with Acc units is very hard to establish.
    Don't your funds declare dividends of a specified value to be paid out on a nominated date? Which ones are you referring to?
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As I posted above with a link, per unit dividends for Acc units are easily available and you just multiply the dividend per unit by the number of units held (whether that is a whole number or not).
  • torrence
    torrence Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    OK thanks for the suggestions. I need to know the value of dividends paid for these 4 funds between 01/01/2019 - 31/12/2019?

HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund C GB00BMJJJF91
    L&G International Index I Acc GB00B2Q6HW61
    Fidelity Index World Fund P Acc GB00BJS8SJ34
    Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 Acc GB00B41XG308

Thank you if you know where this can be looked up online for these 4 funds.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 27 January 2020 at 5:52PM
    Options
    OK thanks for the suggestions. I need to know the value of dividends paid for these 4 funds between 01/01/2019 - 31/12/2019?

HSBC FTSE All-World Index Fund C GB00BMJJJF91
    L&G International Index I Acc GB00B2Q6HW61
    Fidelity Index World Fund P Acc GB00BJS8SJ34
    Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 Acc GB00B41XG308

Thank you if you know where this can be looked up online for these 4 funds.

So as Coryls mentioned in post #11:

Go to trustnet.com and do a search for the code number (eg GB00B2Q6HW61 for L&G)

Pick the fund from the list to go to trustnet's factsheet page for that fund

It would take you to
    https://www.trustnet.com/factsheets/o/bkf0/lg-international-index-trust-i-acc

You would be on the overview tab by default so go to the Dividends tab

Look at the recent history and note that there was a final dividend paid 6 Dec 2019 and interim one at 6 June 2019 with amounts of 1.735 and 1.243 respectively. Multiply that by the number of units held.

Note, not all funds subscribe to the trustnet service and if they are not a subscribing fund the information shown might be more limited. So Morningstar.co.uk is an example of another site with a decent amount of fund data; or check out the fund manager's own website. Or email the funds manager if you can't find it on their own site. Many fund managers don't have particularly comprehensive websites - because they use the fund platforms as a distribution channel precisely to avoid having to deal with individual retail investors. So they might refer you back to your platform provider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure