Expedia Car Hire Problem - £0.00 Excess

Options
Hi,

I recently hired a car in Australia via Expedia and the booking states with regards to damage excess:

"Collision damage waiver (CDW)
includes excess of £0.00"

Unfortunately the car was returned with damaged as someone had scraped the car in a car park. As a result the vendor (Hertz) charged me over £2500. I have argued with the vendor that I have 0 excess but they told me this is with expedia. I have taken this up with expedia and after they had spoken to the vendor and investigated they stated that when they say "includes excess of £0.00" this means that I have to pay for any damage above £0 and expedia pays for any damage below £0.

This baffles me. To me excess means anything below the excess amount I am responsible for, and anything above I am covered so in this instance I am covered above £0. This is how excess works with any other kind of insurance and I explained that to expedia who agreed if there was an excess amount, but when it is £0 excess this means that there is no coverage.

Am I being dumb here??! what does CDW including excess of £0 mean? Have I misinterpreted this....or do other interpret it the same as me? Has anyone else ever had a similar issue? Confused and angry!!!

Thank you

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If it is stated exactly as you have put in your OP then you have:

a) Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) cover
    b) An excess of £0.00 meaning you are liable for the first £0.00 of any damage claim

Which country's laws is this contract subject to?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does the contract actually about it, as I presume there's more than the bit you've quoted?
  • traveller_asd
    Options
    Thanks both. I booked via expedia from UK, for car hire in Australia. Expedia are still investigating so I await to see their conclusion. The damage was no where near that amount and the 3rd party accepted all fault so I am expecting some refund from Hertz once they recover from 3rd party insurance. Just don't like being exposed for that much amount of money.

The booking with Expedia says nothing more with regards to excess apart from the exclusions (tyres/windscreen etc) of which these are not relevant to this incident. That's all there is, and that insurance is included. The rest refers to the usual fuel policy, mileage policy etc.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Who does it say the contract is with? Expedia? Hertz UK? Hertz Australia? Someone else?

Do Expedia say that they are acting as an agent of Hertz?
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 December 2019 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Hi,

I recently hired a car in Australia via Expedia and the booking states with regards to damage excess:

"Collision damage waiver (CDW)
    includes excess of £0.00"

Unfortunately the car was returned with damaged as someone had scraped the car in a car park. As a result the vendor (Hertz) charged me over £2500. I have argued with the vendor that I have 0 excess but they told me this is with expedia. I have taken this up with expedia and after they had spoken to the vendor and investigated they stated that when they say "includes excess of £0.00" this means that I have to pay for any damage above £0 and expedia pays for any damage below £0.

This baffles me. To me excess means anything below the excess amount I am responsible for, and anything above I am covered so in this instance I am covered above £0. This is how excess works with any other kind of insurance and I explained that to expedia who agreed if there was an excess amount, but when it is £0 excess this means that there is no coverage.

Am I being dumb here??! what does CDW including excess of £0 mean? Have I misinterpreted this....or do other interpret it the same as me? Has anyone else ever had a similar issue? Confused and angry!!!

Thank you

I bet you don't have the nonsense below in writing but were told this by a jackass on the phone ( or you have misunderstood what they said)
    Even the most stupid person is likely to think a bit more before sending in an email
    "expedia pays for any damage below £0. "
    Just dispute with the credit card stating that you were sold a zero excess on this transaction
    The best thing is to tell Hertz that if they want to charge any excess they should send it to Expedia as Expedia have agreed to underwrite any excess payable as part of the sales contract
    Also see if this is a Hertz franchise and if it is complain to Hertz Head office
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure