DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Sueinbirmingham
    Options
    Previously, when I've been awarded DLA, it's been on the basis of risk, but I think I have bodily function needs. Does the fact that the award letter only mentions risk mean that the decision maker thought that I didn't need help with bodily functions, or does it mean that they didn't think it necessary to consider it once that they had established that risk was an issue?

Also, if I need help most of the time but not all of the time because I have an episodic condition where I am ill most of the time but occasionally have a week or two where I'm not so ill, how do I fill in the boxes that say how many days a week? Can I put "varies, see below" and then put the information in the big box? Can I translate months of the year into days of the week? Or how do I do it?
  • Sueinbirmingham
    Options
    Forget the second half of my question because I've filled in the boxes on my form, but I am still interested in interpreting my last award.
  • Thanatos
    Thanatos Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    I'd also like to thank Thantos. It's very brave of him/her considering some of the experiences some of us have had when trying to claim DLA.

As a former NHS employee, I know first hand that the majority of employees are very human and work very hard to provide the best service/care they can - it's the minority of employees that not only give the rest a bad name, but also make life more difficult than it need be.

Could I just ask one quick question? My first DLA award was for 2 years and due to expire in May, my second award was more or less the same. Then my 3rd award was decided quite early, and was for 3 years, but because of time the decision was made it expires in January of next year. I received the renewal forms for this award in July, and within 2 weeks I'd received a letter telling that they'd not had my forms back (not surprising, I hadn't even started filling them out by that point), and I've since had a couple more asking for my forms asap. Why the rush? I know it takes time for the decisions to be made but 7 months?. The cynic in me wonders if this is a not so subtle way to save money - if I fill the forms in as fast as it's being implied I'm expected to, and my award is either reduced or stopped, then DWP saves themselves up to 6 months worth of DLA.

Is that the idea behind it?

Ok, this is an easy one to answer...

Renewal forms are sent automatically by the system 6 months prior to the awards expiring. Reminders are also system issued.

When a renewal decision is made, regardless of when the actual decision is made (early or late) the date the renewal award starts is the date the previous award expires. There are execeptions to this:

Exception 1 is is the award is increased it will be back dated to the day we recieved the renewal claim form.

Exception 2 is is we disallow the claim in its entirity - the date of the decision will then be used. (eg its not normally backdated (althought it can be!))

Exception 3 is if the award is reduced (but not removed entirely) with this one, normally the renewal date still applies, unless the DM establishes a change in yourr circumstances that gives grounds to change the decision from an earlier date (normally the date of decision). This is however rare and we normally do it from the date of decision.

It sounds like your last claim (that cut 6 months) was due to one of the exceptions above - my initial reaction is that it was increased...

so the short answer is no, the aim is not to cut the award by 6 months to save money, but the current award may cut the previous award short especially when increasing the award (which actually costs us more money :D)
  • Thanatos
    Options
    Previously, when I've been awarded DLA, it's been on the basis of risk, but I think I have bodily function needs. Does the fact that the award letter only mentions risk mean that the decision maker thought that I didn't need help with bodily functions, or does it mean that they didn't think it necessary to consider it once that they had established that risk was an issue?

Also, if I need help most of the time but not all of the time because I have an episodic condition where I am ill most of the time but occasionally have a week or two where I'm not so ill, how do I fill in the boxes that say how many days a week? Can I put "varies, see below" and then put the information in the big box? Can I translate months of the year into days of the week? Or how do I do it?

Well, regarding the second part of the question, yes, fill in those boxes ;)

Regarding the first part - I am not entirly sure what you mean by awarded on the basis of risk... could you elaborate - by PM if you prefer not to explain a medical condition in a public area.
  • Thanatos
    Options
    I have added some additonal information to the initial post, detailing what level of care qualifys you for what level of benefit. AA is just Middle and higher rate care of DLA so same qualifying criterea apply.

If anyone knows how to edit the first post so it looks nicer, let me know as simply changing the font sizes and deleting the gaps in it seem to make no difference whatsoever :(
  • Sueinbirmingham
    Options
    You are entitled because...you need to be constantly supervised...so that you do not cause substantial danger to yourself or others" (ditto night) I don't want to get it on that basis, I want to get it on the basis of needing help with bodily functions. It's not nice being told I might cause substantial danger to myself or others. But I have no idea of whether I previously established that I did indeed need help with bodily functions.
  • somebody_else
    Options
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Ok,It sounds like your last claim (that cut 6 months) was due to one of the exceptions above - my initial reaction is that it was increased...

so the short answer is no, the aim is not to cut the award by 6 months to save money, but the current award may cut the previous award short especially when increasing the award (which actually costs us more money :D)
    Thank you for your answer Thanatos. Yes, that makes sense to me. You are right, there was an increase in my last award, from Higher Rate Mobility for 2 years, to HRM and Lower Rate Care for 3 years.

If someone's health were to improve slightly (mainly 'cos I'm no longer trying to hold down a full time job, having been dismissed on the grounds of my ill health), would that automatically mean that my DLA would be removed this time? Bearing in mind that as soon as I try to increase my activity levels my pain levels and the tiredness rocket, so actually I'm not really any better as such just doing less to compensate.

I'm not expecting a definitive answer here, just a general guide - i understand that you're not doing this in an official capacity so I wouldn't take anything you say as binding on DWP.
    s/e
  • steve-kaz
    Options
    Hi
    My wifes dla is up for renewal her present claim ends early january 2009, at the moment she receives (hrm) and (lrc) my first question is this if the dm were to reduce or even decline the renewal would that take immediate affect
    or would it still run till the renewal date ?.
    my second question is if the dm were to increase the care conponant would it increase immediatly or from the renewal date ?

My wifes renewal claim has now been at blackpool for 8 weeks yesterday she
    received a letter to say they had writen to her gp how much longer do you think it will take as my wife has a car on motability and if it is'nt sorted out
    i assume the car will have to be returned, do you think it should be sorted in time?

thanks steve :confused:
  • Thanatos
    Options
    You are entitled because...you need to be constantly supervised...so that you do not cause substantial danger to yourself or others" (ditto night) I don't want to get it on that basis, I want to get it on the basis of needing help with bodily functions. It's not nice being told I might cause substantial danger to myself or others. But I have no idea of whether I previously established that I did indeed need help with bodily functions.

Ah, ok I understand... Then in answer to your original question, when the letter talks about supervision more than care/attention, what it means is that the DM felt your supervision needs were greater than your care needs - essentially the DM awarded you for those needs as he/she felt they presented a stronger case for the ward given.

That said, for about a year now we have been using a new form called an ENT1 (Electronic notification template). This is a slightly superior notification that (if completed correctly) will address all need you claimed, confirming if they were accepted or not and what the award was based on, so it should be clearer in the future.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    :D Welcome to MSE Thanatos :D
    I have a quick question please with regards to my sons new award.His current award runs to 26/12/08 is for MRC and LRMob he's been awarded HRC and HRM to start when this award runs out,which we are more than grateful for but just wondered why it didn't start from now? Thanks very much for helping us out on here in your own free time it's much appreciated :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure