Home Extension Renovation Estimate

Options
Howdy All,

We're buying a house which needs renovation in RG4 area in South England. Just wanted to get idea of what do you all think it would cost. I've made a floor plan in Visio which should give a fair idea of what work is required. I'm only interested in costing of all work excluding kitchen. Main areas of work in my mind are below. Feel free to give suggestion and point out things that I should add.
  1. First fix work including plastering
  2. New boiler installation
  3. New cylinder installation
  4. Bathroom plumbing
  5. Radiator plumbing
  6. Water softener plumbing
  7. Knocking 4 walls down
  8. Adding 3 lintels
  9. Adding 1 RSJ of about 6.3m
  10. Sliding patio door installation (6.3 meters)
  11. Kitchen plumbing
  12. New Electric Point
  13. New Ceiling Electrics
  14. Removing stair case
  15. Installing new stair case
  16. Plumbing for existing upstairs bathroom
  17. Plumbing for new bathroom

Floor plan link is below (Copy paste in your browser)
ibb.co/QPxSWvB

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2019 at 7:41AM
    Options
    https://ibb.co/QPxSWvB

That's going to to be an outrageously unbalanced house with the size of downstairs vs a modest upstairs.

You missed the two extensions off your list.

You've well in excess of £100k worth of work there, probably closer to £200k.

That's without considering the fact that you've removed the entire corner of the original house and put a sliding door in its place. Interesting piece of engineering required there - to the point that you're probably into commercial solutions with the amount of back wall you're trying to lose - it's unlikely to be possible using the traditional RSJ route.

You've changed the entire floorplan. Is the house broken right now and therefore ripe for this level of redevelopment? If so, what's the current situation with windows & roofing?

I really recommend a good architect with good ideas ideas. It's best to build openings into new extensions rather than smashing a house up to that level - the irony isn't lost on me that the only walls that seem important are the new ones! There's also significant risk of it looking ugly, as it will need so much flat roof. It really does need someone with good design sensitivity.

Why so many living areas for such a small number of bedrooms? How many places can you sit in at one time, especially given that it's all open plan?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    That's without considering the fact that you've removed the entire corner of the original house and put a sliding door in its place. Interesting piece of engineering required there - to the point that you're probably into commercial solutions with the amount of back wall you're trying to lose - it's unlikely to be possible using the traditional RSJ route.

Used to "do" structural steelwork, and I'd agree. This is going to need a serious industrial grade solution along with a substantial foundation for the three piers. Depending on the ground conditions, might even need piling. Definitely not a job for Reckit & Scarper builders.

OP. Might I suggest extending the garage forward a little along with the fill in wall so that it is flush across the front. Would look odd with three steps in the frontage, and you'd get a bit of extra room for very little extra expenditure.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    OP. Might I suggest extending the garage forward a little along with the fill in wall so that it is flush across the front. Would look odd with three steps in the frontage, and you'd get a bit of extra room for very little extra expenditure.

Depends on the planners. Ours absolutely insist that any extension is stepped back and down so as to be subordinate to the house. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • cs981khx
    cs981khx Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you DoozerGirl and FreeBear for your comments.
    We do plan to do a 2nd storey extension in the future so yes upstairs footprint is small at the moment. TBH we as a family spend most of the time in the kitchen/dining area so upstairs is literally used for sleeping.

I take the point that 6 metre RSJ might be too much/complicated so happy to split it into two sliding doors or maybe one large window and one sliding door.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure