LED light bulbs

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never really considered Screwfix for bulbs before, thanks for the suggestion.

We're using all LEDs in our house. Coupled with A to A++ electrics, turning everything off when not being used, solar panels and a new boiler we've cut our bills from £150+ to roughly £50 on a bad month. The initial costs were a bit on the steep side, but as the items that were being replaced were end of life anyway, it seemed like a no brainer :)
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    LEDs are getting cheaper and more efficient at an amazing pace now. But I wouldn't recommend anyone worry too much about holding out for better ones, even though I'm sure they're coming. They're cheap enough and efficient enough now that although good to have, future improvement aren't going to radically change your energy bills or environmental impact. It's a very good time to replace old filament bulbs that are used more than occasionally, and to stop buying CFL bulbs and replace with LED when they wear out.

Incidentally however, LEDs last such a long time, the ones already bought are going to represent a large amount of installed lighting for some time, so future efficiency improvements are going to filter in to use much slower as time goes by. All the research and investment may slow down too as sales reduce. My first LED bulbs, bought in 2010 are still working and even with heavy usage are supposed to last many more years. If the life span claims are correct, I might still be using these bulbs in 2030! I don't think we've reached a tipping point yet, still plenty of old filament bulbs to replace and older CFLs are wearing out at the moment, but in a few years LEDs are probably going to start creeping up in price and demand goes down and the manufacturing batches reduce in size.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,655 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes the problem now is a drawer full of CFL and incandescent bulbs that have been replaced and no use for them.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Yes the problem now is a drawer full of CFL and incandescent bulbs that have been replaced and no use for them.

They contain a tiny amount of mercury so best not to break break them. They are worthless. If you go to your local tip, assuming it's like mine, there is a container with many hundreds of the things being disposed of. We have to de-box them before leaving them at ours.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »

Old CFL's are great for bedside lamps, or bathroom lights as they don't blind you at night (dark) if you need to switch them on.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm using up the old bulbs in little used fixtures, like the cupboards and in the toilet. It will take a while, but for rarely used fixtures, maybe a few minutes a week, I think it makes more sense to use the old ones up rather than make and buy a new bulb. I believe the turning on and off wears these bulbs out faster than ageing does, they certainly burn out before they've had the rated hours, so it may not make environmental and financial sense to make and buy a high efficiency bulb that's going to wear out without being lit that many hours. They only save energy when they're on, and they're not on that much in these locations.
  • johnjp
    johnjp Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I buy led bulbs from Poundl**d.
    I`ve been able to get all fittings, even GU10.
    No problems....yet!!
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    I'm replacing with LED as each bulb goes. Much prefer LEDs to the coil-shaped early eco bulbs, but I'll use the latter up before I change them.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I kitted our house out with 3 watt LED bulbs a couple of years back. Did some interweb searching and found a place doing 50% off and then went through Topcashback to get a further 10 or 11% off that.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ben84 wrote: »
    LEDs are getting cheaper and more efficient at an amazing pace now. But I wouldn't recommend anyone worry too much about holding out for better ones, even though I'm sure they're coming. They're cheap enough and efficient enough now that although good to have, future improvement aren't going to radically change your energy bills or environmental impact. It's a very good time to replace old filament bulbs that are used more than occasionally, and to stop buying CFL bulbs and replace with LED when they wear out.

Incidentally however, LEDs last such a long time, the ones already bought are going to represent a large amount of installed lighting for some time, so future efficiency improvements are going to filter in to use much slower as time goes by. All the research and investment may slow down too as sales reduce. My first LED bulbs, bought in 2010 are still working and even with heavy usage are supposed to last many more years. If the life span claims are correct, I might still be using these bulbs in 2030! I don't think we've reached a tipping point yet, still plenty of old filament bulbs to replace and older CFLs are wearing out at the moment, but in a few years LEDs are probably going to start creeping up in price and demand goes down and the manufacturing batches reduce in size.

You will not still be using those lamps in 2030. Lifespan claims are usually completely false. Power supplies are not going to last 20 years, it's ridiculous to suggest they will and some companies out there really are misleading their customers with LED lifespan of 50,000 hours etc

Top quality LED's are not getting cheaper at an 'amazing' pace, whats getting cheaper is the cheaper stuff as everyone is in a race to the bottom on price (and quality).

I can see a lot of LED companies facing legal action in the future when their products suddenyl start failing en mass.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure