Phones for tweens

Options
2»

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We'll be following the school's guidelines. They can have a basic phone that makes calls and texts but no internet capability in Year 6. It can't be a smartphone with internet turned off, it has to be really basic. They'll get a smart phone in Year 7.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We held out until going to secondary school - or almost- our sons birthday is August so he got his phone in the last couple of weeks of year 6 so he could get numbers from everyone at the end of year party. He had started going out with friends before that so we just gave him an old dumb phone we had around for those trips only.
  • DrivingMissDaisy
    Options
    Get iPhone XR or XS. As for appropriate age for a phone, if they have a tablet, that's good enough age to get them a phone as well.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Xmas in year 6 for both of ours. It meant they were able to contact us if they were going out playing. They were able to exchange numbers with primary school friends (we live a couple of miles away from their primary so they don't bump into them and none of their friends went to the same secondary school).
    Their secondary uses phones at school; for homework app, looking things up in lessons etc (when told to by the teacher).
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get iPhone XR or XS. As for appropriate age for a phone, if they have a tablet, that's good enough age to get them a phone as well.

I can't justify the cost of one of those for myself, let alone for a 9 year old. What do they need an iPhone X for?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I’m still undecided. She’s 10, in yr 5 and the odds are she won’t be going to the same school as most of her friends as we are just that little further away. But as someone said, there is loads of time left in primary.

She prob won’t walk home from school even in yr6 as I think it’s too far by herself and she has a younger sister who will need picking it.

I’ve been offered an iPhone 5 for £33(what a friend can sell it for in those websites) and my mum has a sim connected to her phone contract that she is paying £6 ani then for, but not using (not sure why she got it), so tempted to do this instead of waiting and having to get a phone on a contract in say, a years time.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business