First Floor Extension - Hollow Sounding Floor

Options
Good evening all :) We have recently purchased a 1930's semi with a 2-floor rear extension. The upstairs floors' floor sounds hollow (for want of a better term) in that when downstairs you can hear footsteps, talking and even number 1's when someone's using the en-suite. You also feel like you have to tip-toe when walking around upstairs as footsteps resonate badly. I've looked under the floor by removing a downlight from the downstairs ceiling and there is no insulation whatsoever in there - it's just a void approx. 6" high with joists supporting the first floor chipboard.

Am I right in thinking I can just pack the 'inner' of the floor with insulation? How do they normally build extensions/new builds? as it seems very 'cheap' to me.

Thankyou very much for reading :) Hopefully someone can help.

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's how they build them, but yes, you can put batts of acoustic insulation between the joists to improve it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Better than the old method of sand pugging between the joists.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    That's how they build them, but yes, you can put batts of acoustic insulation between the joists to improve it.

That's how they used to build them.

It's been a Building Regulations requirement to have mineral fibre quilt in the floor void of upper floors within a single dwelling house, including extensions since 2003. Also internal partitions between bedrooms, bathrooms etc.

If you are going to retro fit something you really need a fairly dense mineral fibre quilt, not just any old insulation. Hell of a job though trying to drag it through between the floor joists.
  • ben0101
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    That's how they used to build them.

It's been a Building Regulations requirement to have mineral fibre quilt in the floor void of upper floors within a single dwelling house, including extensions since 2003. Also internal partitions between bedrooms, bathrooms etc.

If you are going to retro fit something you really need a fairly dense mineral fibre quilt, not just any old insulation. Hell of a job though trying to drag it through between the floor joists.

Thank you for that. Looks like the floors' coming up then! When you say 'drag through the joists', what do you mean? Would you not just line 'between' each joist, sitting the quilt on the downstairs ceiling? (never done this before so please excuse my ignorance).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure