IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Already appealed, not sure what to do next

Options
Baggi0
Baggi0 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 6 August 2018 at 3:36PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,
I got a surprise parking ticket through the post last week for £100 from a Parkingeye carpark. Now in this, they didn't state what it was for and I could only gather from the back that it was for not paying enough and overstaying or not paying at all but I did neither.

So straight away I sent out an appeal and as I didn't know what it was for I assumed it might be because I parked the car then walked out the carpark to get change, so I told them this in the appeal. Fast forward and I have a letter back saying it was because I didn't enter the full registration number into the machine as i only entered the first 2 letters by mistake and as a "goodwill gesture" they will lower the charge to £20, so to me it seems they are just trying to get what money they can out of me.

I rang Citizens advice and they said to contact BPA and POPLA which i did and they can't give me any advice so I came here and read the FAQ's and saw the templates saying to not name the driver but i don't know if i have shot myself in the foot already by naively telling them to, "check the CCTV and you will see me walking around the carpark on the phone arranging to get some change and you will then see me leaving to get it and coming back to the machine to pay" in the original appeal.

I don't have the ticket still and it claims on the letter "The signage located at the carpark advises all motorists to enter their full, correct vehicle registration into the payment machine on site. It has come to our attention that the incorrect vehicle registration was inputted on the date of the parking event which has therefore resulted in a parking charge being issued"

It was a simple mistake, as the machine said enter the reg number and I entered the first 2 letters and it said "enter change" so i thought that was all they needed.

Can i do much now after admitting it was me in the carpark, so i cant really send the template in the FAQ?

If needed ill post my full appeal response and their letters if needed :)

Thanks

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 August 2018 at 3:54PM
    Options
    This depends on whether you want to go through months of appeals, when, once started, the £20 returns to £100. There's also the possibility PE might take this to court, then it would be risking about £175.
    So straight away I sent out an appeal and as I didn't know what it was for I assumed it might be because I parked the car ............ so I told them this in the appeal.
    Blows a big hole in trying to appeal/defend this as the Registered Keeper.

While this sticks in my throat, how much time and effort are you prepared to put into this to save £20? It won't be easy in terms of time or effort.

But read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3 to understand the appeals process via POPLA.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Baggi0
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    This depends on whether you want to go through months of appeals, when, once started, the £20 returns to £100. There's also the possibility PE might take this to court, then it would be risking about £175.

Blows a big hole in trying to appeal/defend this as the Registered Keeper.

While this sticks in my throat, how much time and effort are you prepared to put into this to save £20? It won't be easy in terms of time or effort.

But read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3 to understand the appeals process via POPLA.

Hi thanks for the quick response,

I have read the post you suggested and it does indeed look a long drawn out process. Even though its only £20 its hard to swallow becuase they are just getting paid for a small technicality which they could have easilly said "it was a honest mistake, we'll cancel the charge" but the scumbags try and get whatever they can get out of people.

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay them i think, not bad £23 for an hours parking is it lol

Thanks for your help :beer:
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sometimes being pragmatic is better than being dogmatic (even though I hate to say it!).

But PE have fleeced many people for very big numbers - and you just need to be a good step away from that potential.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport