PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options
Fiscal Fast - Day 1

Every year, I think to myself, yes this year I would like to cut back financially but it's a bit like a diet, after a while bad habits creep in and before you know it..... you know where I'm at!

Well this year, my fiscal fast HAS to be until October as 2 of my gorgeous children are getting married and EVERY penny has to be a prisoner or earn it's keep!

So would you like to join me on this military style financial assault course?

Stock Taking

My big weakness is stationery and beautiful paper - well having just re-organised my cupboard I don't NEED anymore.

I am going to make long lists of what I have in all my cupboards (especially food) and ONLY buy when I have run out and NOT when there is a good deal on.

No more window shopping - too much temptation!

I could go on and on but more tomorrow.

So, are you up for this ruthless challenge or would you just like to encourage me in my mission?

TM6
xxx
"One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Encouragement from me! :T:T:T

You can succeed where I have failed...I usually do well for the first 3 months of the year, but 2018 has presented unusual circumstances and money is haemorrhaging left, right and centre leaving me quite skint :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Encouragement from me! :T:T:T

You can succeed where I have failed...I usually do well for the first 3 months of the year, but 2018 has presented unusual circumstances and money is haemorrhaging left, right and centre leaving me quite skint :o

I also start with good intentions but then I see things whilst I'm browsing on line, and end up spending rather than saving :o
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    I also start with good intentions but then I see things whilst I'm browsing on line, and end up spending rather than saving :o
    Having consulted my expenditure tracker, I can see that much is one-off stuff that I need to make the house more comfortable to live in, not recurring expenditure. The fault is all mine because I am choosing not to hold off - I've just got to the stage where I think life is too short to tolerate even minor hardship! Its that and petrol, plus household bills that are the main drain. My wants have been few - I'd say about £15 so far - and none of my spending has been online.

I've Freecycled loads of stuff already this month, and that by default has kept me at home waiting for grateful recipients rather than out and about, spending!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Have you managed to sort something for your heating?
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we have a savings thread TM6, only started it this year and the aim is to build a savings pot. You are welcome to join us

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5763196
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    Have you managed to sort something for your heating?
    Yes, its called the "continuous" switch :D

The alternative is spending as much time outside of the house as I can, which defeats the purpose as I love my new home :happyhear

• debtfreeforlife
    Options
    I'll join your fiscal challenge if I may! This year's money needs to work harder, I'm determined to stick to my budgets throughout the year and I've been ambitious on the amount I'm allocating to mortgage overpayments.
  • TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2018 at 8:32AM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 2

I am SO excited that I have peeps to share my challenge as well as encouragers :j:j

Yesterday I spent zilch, nada - so pleased :D
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    I'll join your fiscal challenge if I may! This year's money needs to work harder, I'm determined to stick to my budgets throughout the year and I've been ambitious on the amount I'm allocating to mortgage overpayments.

That''s awesome debtfreeforlife - together we can encorage each other and stand strong :T
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find having 2 days a week where I can spend means I’ve got to work out what is needed and get shopping - fill petrol etc all in one day then the rest of the week I should have everything I need and no reason to pop out for milk or nip out to look at curtains and come home with £80 worth of stuff .... Good Luck!
    Living the simple life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport