Spark Energy - one and only bill really high!

I moved into an electric only flat on 30th June this year. I was told by the landlady that the current supplier was Ovo Energy but when I contacted them, they told me that it was in fact Spark Energy. So I contacted them and gave them up to date meter readings....I decided not to stay with them and moved supplier, but I had to wait a few weeks before it did move across to the new company.

I have just received by one and only bill from Spark Energy for having supplied the electric to my property from 30th June - 16th July (inclusive) and it has come to £115.61. Now this seems ridiculously high to me for just over 2 weeks electricity supply to my flat (which doesnt have Gas). Does this sound right to anybody else and if not, what should I do about this? They text me this message to remind me my bill was there ready and waiting to be paid...but I have never received a message telling me my bill had been issued.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    FLA could you post details of the ACTUAL readings involved please.

Do they match the ones you gave ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Hi FeelingLighterAlready

I've responded to this post on another thread, but thought I'd post here too.

I can see you gave us up to date readings, did you give us move in readings? Did you give your new supplier readings to use for your transfer date?

When a change of supplier goes ahead, the new supplier has to send their opening readings to the old supplier, so that they can use the same readings to close the account. If actual readings aren't provided, the new company will send estimates which can be higher than actual readings.

If you didn't give us move in readings, we would have estimated them, and this might also be the issue.

Please contact me using the details on my profile. I'm happy to look into what's happened and put things right.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It seems that whilst your flat was in limbo between tenants, the Letting Agents took a bribe from Spark to switch the supplier to them.

Spark offer a variety of tariffs, but as a new customer you would default onto their Variable Standard Tariff which is very expensive
    However you know the Start Reading you gave to Spark, and the reading you gave to the new supplier - This reading is the End Reading for the Spark account.

Take one from the other and check Sparks Bill
  • AlixB
    AlixB Posts: 1 Newbie
    I am not at all surprised. New meter installed in an empty 1 bed flat and by the time we sold it 12 months later we have a £930 bill for just electric. Getting daily texts and calls to pay but they won!!!8217;t accept that their meter could be wrong.
  • Jakubk
    Jakubk Posts: 127 Forumite
    You really should start a new thread rather than reviving this old one.

Anyway, you have to watch the meter now see if you can demonstrate it is faulty

Turn everything off except plugs and boil a kettle full.

Does the flat have underfloor electric heating

Could someone else's supply be tapped into your meter or rather that they have the wrong meter for your flat, this is VERY common for new build or conversions.
  • Hi AlixB

Sorry to hear about this.

Was the property empty the entire time? Did you take meter readings when you became responsible for the property and when you sold it?

Please email the address given in my profile, confirming your full name and supply address, if you'd like some help.

Kind regards

Jenny
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi AlixB

Sorry to hear about this.

Was the property empty the entire time? Did you take meter readings when you became responsible for the property and when you sold it?

Please email the address given in my profile, confirming your full name and supply address, if you'd like some help.

Kind regards

Jenny

Whilst Spark may be bad enough, this is more a problem of money grabbing letting agents who accept your bribes. Stop offering the bribes & we will all be happy. Guess that would be a no - can't lose your only real source of business/money.
  • We are also having issues, we moved into our property and moved our energy supplier straight away, we received two letters with the 'sorry to see you go' and confirmation from our new supplier that every thing had moved over 16 days later, we then received a bill for £40 and then a further bill for £96 , which seemed high for 16 days worth of energy, when we rang, Spark then told us that we owe £200 for 16 days! We've now received a text saying its £296 and they appear to have moved it over to someone called Zinc? I'm really concerned as this is our first property and first time doing anything like this! There is no chance that the bill should be that high as we both work full time and haven't had the heating on due to the nice weather! Could anyone please offer some advice? We have meter readings from when we first moved in on our inventory? Thank you!
  • Hi amylouise94

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your final bill.

Have you checked to make sure that you've given us move in meter readings to use on your bill? Have you also checked that the final readings are correct? If you've moved supplier, it's up to your new supplier to send us your final meter readings (they should have advised you to send them on the date your transfer completes) as we have to bill up to the reading that they start billing you from.

If you want me to check everything over, please email the address given in my profile, confirming your full name and your supply address. It would also be useful if you could confirm any meter readings you have on file, especially move in readings and change of supply readings.

Kind regards

Jenny
  • Jakubk
    Jakubk Posts: 127 Forumite
    We are also having issues, we moved into our property and moved our energy supplier straight away, we received two letters with the 'sorry to see you go' and confirmation from our new supplier that every thing had moved over 16 days later, we then received a bill for £40 and then a further bill for £96 , which seemed high for 16 days worth of energy, when we rang, Spark then told us that we owe £200 for 16 days! We've now received a text saying its £296 and they appear to have moved it over to someone called Zinc? I'm really concerned as this is our first property and first time doing anything like this! There is no chance that the bill should be that high as we both work full time and haven't had the heating on due to the nice weather! Could anyone please offer some advice? We have meter readings from when we first moved in on our inventory? Thank you!
    Hi amylouise94

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your final bill.

Have you checked to make sure that you've given us move in meter readings to use on your bill? Have you also checked that the final readings are correct? If you've moved supplier, it's up to your new supplier to send us your final meter readings (they should have advised you to send them on the date your transfer completes) as we have to bill up to the reading that they start billing you from.

If you want me to check everything over, please email the address given in my profile, confirming your full name and your supply address. It would also be useful if you could confirm any meter readings you have on file, especially move in readings and change of supply readings.

Kind regards

Jenny

Jenny

What a USELESS suggestion, is the standard Spark Energy response to BLAME THE VICTIM?

Day 16 confirmation from our new supplier that every thing had moved over

Bill for £40

Further bill for £96 FOR 16 DAYS!!!!!

Accounts then say £200 for 16 days!!!

Another bill for £296

This is in the summer with NO HEATING

By the time they get to a quarter you will assume they owe £20000!!

Apologise publicly for what appears to be a fault with YOUR EQUIPMENT

PM the customer and get their account number, arrange for an engineer to put in a clone meter or replace the meter.

Meanwhile credit their account and immediately call of your rottweiler debt collector zinc, make sure that you correct any negative affect to their credit record

Shocking!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport