To pay or move to competition...

Options
Hello, new member and as you can tell by my user name I've had some cash flow issues recently. Well that is finally starting to turn around but today I have to make a decision.

I missed 3 direct debit payments with my car insurer (I always rang up and paid by card within a day ir two from the missed payment) but as this is the 3rd time they have demanded I pay the full amount by midnight today. Let's call them Insurer A

Out of curiosity I've been looking around at other companies and it turns out I can get a full 12 months cover from another insurer (B) for much cheaper even if I pay off outstanding amounts and admin fees with insurer A I'll save about £100 and have 12 months cover from today with insurer B. Or I spend an extra £100 and finish off my cover with insurer A which is about 7 months left.

What I don't know is if I cancel with A... is that going to hurt my credit rating more than the damage I've already done.

Appreciate any wise words or advice.

Thanks

Cashflowbroke

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You don't have a credit rating - just credit files.

If you want to cancel the policy and pay the associated fees, that's not a problem.

What will be a problem is if you continue to miss payments and they cancel your policy.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 June 2018 at 4:30PM
    Options
    If you don't pay the full amount by midnight today, regardless of whether or not you intend to cancel THEY will cancel your insurance. They will very likelyl not cancel your insurance if you request it whilst you have arrears with them and that deadline today so if you're looking at a way out of paying the money you owe them today without any negative impacts there aren't any. If they have cancelled your insurance because you've not paid what they ask for by midnight then when getting any quotes or applying for insurance with your next provider you MUST answer YES to the question "have you ever had a policy cancelled or declined?" That will alter how much you pay and could be quite significantly.

You will still owe the arrears and if you don't pay them they can pursue you through the county court and debt recovery companies.
  • Cashflowbroke
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

To be clear, the letter states if I don't pay the full amount for the rest if the year, yes they will cancel the policy.

However the letter also states I can call them pay them what I owe for the previous month (which I tried to do 2 weeks ago) and end the policy (+admin fee).

Doing the latter and getting cheaper insurance elsewhere is what I'm considering but I don't know what it would do to my credit rating (or file).

If I owe money, it gets paid, I've already tried. I wouldn't let anything go to court over a monthly payment and I'll happily pay the full amount for the rest of the year if that was my only option but it isn't.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Doing the latter and getting cheaper insurance elsewhere is what I'm considering but I don't know what it would do to my credit rating (or file).

Wont make the slightest difference as car insurance companies do not report on your credit file. (well mine don`t anyway).

Does yours, have you looked ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Cashflowbroke
    Options
    I hadn't, I just paid the full amount in the end so I'm covered until Jan. I think they would have had me on a cancellation fee to stop moving being worth it, they're running a business after all.

Cheers for everyone's replies :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you choose to pay monthly then get a direct debit setup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure