DCA guilty of fraud?

Long ago I defaulted on a TSB card. They took me to court and i have been paying their CCJ via bank transfer since then.

The debt moved to Lloyd's and more recently Link.
Shortly before it moved to Link, Lloyd's sent me paperwork which looked to me as if they had added money to the debt. When i wrote to them they said the debt was now managed by Link, so they had forwarded my query to them.

Today i received a statement from Link saying that as i had missed a payment the debt was now repayable in full. It also seemed to show one payment every month for the entire period of the statement. Obviously, this is punishment for daring to ask them to check their sums and clearly writing to Link, or Lloyd's, is about as useful as talking to one of their cash point machines.

Should i try shouting at one of their cash machines in the hope that a lip-reader views the security footage?
Ignore their stupidity, let them take me to Court and hope that the Judje has a better understanding of basic maths?
Tell them to **** off as they owe me money?
Pass the information to GMP's Fraud Team as Link are clearly demanding money from me under false pretences?
Switzerland has Dignitasthe UK has DCA's, Bankers and Lawyers.

Comments

• Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Or it could be a mistake - given the large number of people who write to these companies and don't face "punishment" as a result, that seems more likely.

You could try writing back to them pointing out that their statement shows you haven't missed a payment.

Or is that just crazy-talk?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

Should i try shouting at one of their cash machines in the hope that a lip-reader views the security footage?

I suppose you could try.

Unfortunately, apart from the use of the name 'Link', there is no connection between the cash machine network and the DCA.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 14 November 2018 at 2:03PM
    Keep making the payments until, on your calculations, you have cleared the debt.

What they do is up to them.

Creditors do sometimes try to add interest after a judgement but the hoops they have to jump though on a consumer credit act debt are very complex.

So just pay until the judgement debt is paid off. If they want an argument at that point, National Debtline can assist you.

Equally, creditors sometimes try to make out that an instalment order has been breached so that they can try another enforcement option. It's a waste of time if you actually are paying, but if they try anything like that National Debtline can assist you. It's probably just a standard letter/empty threat
  • Just pay the debt.

You owe it. And you know you do.

So just get it over and done with.

Nothing is going to write it off or earn you a bit of compo which is what you’re clearly angling for here
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Of all the suggestions in your post, this stands up as the most sensible - albeit no less futile than your other suggested responses.

Institutions to do not 'punish' you for questioning their calculations and any suggestion that this is the case is rather silly. As, is the suggestion that they have committed fraud.

You need to deal with this as an adult. If you feel that their calculations are wrong then ask them to check. If you come to an impasse and still feel that you are correct then there are formal avenues of complaint that you can pursue.
  • antrobus wrote: »
    I suppose you could try.

Unfortunately, apart from the use of the name 'Link', there is no connection between the cash machine network and the DCA.

was joking ...
  • !!! wrote: »
    Just pay the debt.

You owe it. And you know you do.

So just get it over and done with.

Nothing is going to write it off or earn you a bit of compo which is what you’re clearly angling for here

Sorry but your mind-reading skills are rubbish.
    Plus i'm a pensioner. No assets. No benefits. Windows so rotten they're almost falling out. I've had my heating on for one hour today, i may put it on later for another hour. I'm sitting here wearing a jumper with a blanket round my legs. I've got my gas, elec & water bills down to an absolute minimum. I don't drink, smoke, go out, i only have freeview. Where do i get the money from to repay it? And i suppose i should pay the extra that Lloyd's added on too?
    Thanks for your thoughtful advice.
  • MEM62 wrote: »
    Of all the suggestions in your post, this stands up as the most sensible - albeit no less futile than your other suggested responses.
    I was trying to make the point that writing to them has seemed futile.
    MEM62 wrote: »
    Institutions to do not 'punish' you for questioning their calculations and any suggestion that this is the case is rather silly. As, is the suggestion that they have committed fraud.
    So just a coincidence then?
    So DCA's are allowed to demand full repayment when they are not entitled to?
    MEM62 wrote: »
    You need to deal with this as an adult. If you feel that their calculations are wrong then ask them to check. If you come to an impasse and still feel that you are correct then there are formal avenues of complaint that you can pursue.
    I did ask them (Lloyd's, as it happened under their watch) to check - they passed it to the DCA.
    Is being totally ignored an impasse?
  • Regardless of your current situation you managed to run up the debt.

Of course a DCA can request full payment if they feel you are dragging your heels.

Lloyd’s have got better things to do than chase debts so enlisted a DCA to do so
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    Keep making the payments until, on your calculations, you have cleared the debt.

What they do is up to them.

Creditors do sometimes try to add interest after a judgement but the hoops they have to jump though on a consumer credit act debt are very complex.

So just pay until the judgement debt is paid off. If they want an argument at that point, National Debtline can assist you.

Equally, creditors sometimes try to make out that an instalment order has been breached so that they can try another enforcement option. It's a waste of time if you actually are paying, but if they try anything like that National Debtline can assist you. It's probably just a standard letter/empty threat
    Thanks for the reply and great advice.
    Although i'm concerned that the debt will outlive me and my kids will just pay whatever they are asked when i'm gone, i.e. their inflated figure.
    I would prefer to get their sums corrected so my kids only pay what i legally owe.
    Makes joke about not paying for Lloyd's Christmas party :rotfl:
    Thanks again, appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure