PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flooring in communal area not suitable for purpose

Options
Hi all,

I live in a block of properties of which many of are social housing, therefore the block is managed by the local authority.

They have a blanket ban on any doormats and such being allowed outside the properties as they deem them a fire hazard. However, the flooring used in the communal areas are a glossy tile that become extremely slippery when we have rain or when they clean the hallways. I have on a number of occasions slipped when entering the property, have witnessed other residents encountering the same issue and on one occasion a resident broke her hip when slipping on a newly mopped floor.

I have contacted my local authority to suggest the flooring isn’t fit for purpose and the need for doormats and such owing to the hazardous flooring during wet conditions but nothing has been done to address this.

Can anyone advise as to what I can do to have this matter dealt with before someone is again seriously hurt.

Comments

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Didn't the resident who broke her hip sue the HA?
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you complain they could decide to change the flooring through the block instead, and bill you for it through your service charge.

So if I were you, I'd tread carefully.

(ba dum tss)
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doormats at peoples doors would not solve this problem

The blocks should have integrated matting set into the floors by the entrance doors if a solution is proposed

The reason door mats are deemed a hazard is yes the are flammable but they are also a slip/trip hazard which would hinder escape in the event of fire. The guidance comes from the fire brigade normally which is then acted on by HAs and Councils
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have on a number of occasions slipped when entering the property, have witnessed other residents encountering the same issue and on one occasion a resident broke her hip when slipping on a newly mopped floor.

Your council must have a policy on health and safety in their properties?

Did the person who suffered the broken hip take legal advice?

Have you referred the matter to your local councillor/MP?
  • supa34
    supa34 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glossy tiles shouldn't be used outside as they are not made for that purpose. They should ideally be rated R10 or R12.

Get in touch with council and ask them what the slip mess rating is. I reckon they have been done over as all tile retailers know that glossy tiles will scratch outside and isnt recommend for hallway inside a house let alone in outside communal area.

It's a health hazard.

However if they put a permanent wet floor sign outside they are covered.

Last solution, middle of night and a hammer!!
  • InterestedParty2018
    Options
    Other than the communication about the restriction on individual mats, has the agent/Housing Association made any comments about the slipperiness of the existing flooring?

I would:
    - Dismiss the issue of the individual mats. Fire Risk Assessors often recommend these are removed because of potential trip hazards when existing in an emergency. Equally, it will have no bearing on the situation. Im assuming the wetness comes from shoes/umbrellas etc when walked in from the outside.
    - Ask to see a copy of the Risk Assessment to see if the issue with the tiles was identified.
    - Put in writing to the fact that you have slipped, witnessed others slipping and are aware of one resident suffering an injury after slipping. Ask what action they intend to take.
    - I expect they have two options. One is to replace the flooring. This will be very costly to the service charge (ie you, as the owner) The second is to have a "sunken" mat installed at the entrance. This "should" collect the moisture/dirt from shoes before it makes it way to the tiles. Whilst either option is being considered, they may wish to put signage to inform residents/visitors of the potential risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure