Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    merrydance wrote: »
    Hi
    We have managed (hopefully it's still going through) to secure an equity release, where it doesn't roll up if you pay the interest every month. We want to pay off our credit cards, we make token payments on one at £30 per month, but Barclays have not defaulted it yet, we have been paying this for 4 months. When and if we get our money, do you think they would take and FandF settlement. We will write to them first to see if they have a copy of the CAA. Any thoughts please.

Hi,

You can certainly pay off your outstanding balance, however, its extremely unlikely that Barclaycard will take less than is currently owed, as technically the relationship between you has not yet broken down sufficiently for them to default you.

So the terms of your agreement have not yet been broken, hence the full balance will remain payable.

You may be able to get a few quid off, but it will be a negligible amount, the big discounts are usually reserved for long defaulted, unpaid accounts, that are currently with debt collection agency's.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • merrydance
    Options
    Thanks sourcrates, how about if they do not have a credit agreement will that hold any leverage?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Thanks sourcrates, how about if they do not have a credit agreement will that hold any leverage?

Well then the ball would be in your court.

You could say "stuff it, I'm not paying",

Or, make a low offer to settle.

But from the creditors point of view, the account would remain liable and outstanding, they just couldn't obtain judgement against you in court.

So you can never predict how a creditor will react, they may remain stubborn, and simply demand full payment or sell on the debt and cut there losses, or they may accept, you simply won't know till you ask.

Barclaycard in particular have a reputation for been particularly awkward in matters such as this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    pip10 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a couple of questions - I have 5 creditors and hoping to make some full and final offers soon. 4 are credit cards, 1 is for an overdraft that I no longer have (the account is closed). Can I make a full and final settlement offer on this one?

Yes of course you can. The difference is that the usual advice to do a cca request first does not apply with an overdraft
    Hi
    We have managed (hopefully it's still going through) to secure an equity release, where it doesn't roll up if you pay the interest every month. We want to pay off our credit cards, we make token payments on one at £30 per month, but Barclays have not defaulted it yet, we have been paying this for 4 months. When and if we get our money, do you think they would take and FandF settlement. We will write to them first to see if they have a copy of the CAA. Any thoughts please.

They should default you between 3 and 6 months after the relationship has broken down so hold fire for now.

I'm not sure if I approve of equity release to do F&F as it's like transferring debt to a more dangerous place. I guess you may think it's OK if you have the right to live there indefinitely and are never going to move, but how many of us can see the future that clearly?
  • merrydance
    Options
    Hi fatbelly

We have looked very deeply into this equity release. If we pay the interest every month it will never be any higher than the original sum we borrowed. Also if we want to sell in the next year - it will be 5 per cent to pay on the original sum, 3 percent after 2 years and goes down to 1 per cent after 5 years. Some equity release schemes charge 20 per cent for early repayment. It was Stepchange that recommended this, although we have gone through a different scheme to the one they suggested. We have a financial advisor and he recommended this one.
  • heather66
    Options
    Has anyone recently had A F&F accepted by Moorcroft debt collector

thanks
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Are there some debt collection agencies more favourable than the others? Cabot financial seem to only want 1/3 of your total debt while others its 50-80%.

Wescott seems one to avoid?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    whambam wrote: »
    Are there some debt collection agencies more favourable than the others? Cabot financial seem to only want 1/3 of your total debt while others its 50-80%.

Wescott seems one to avoid?

Cabot are debt buyers so in settling for 30% they are making a profit.

Wescot and Moorcroft generally just act as agents for a variety of creditors so will be referring offers back to their 'client' who may well still be the original lender.

Every case is individual - start low and see what you can get.
  • Delete33
    Delete33 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What exactly is equity release please ????????????
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Delete33 wrote: »
    What exactly is equity release please ????????????

It's where a company loans you a sum of money secured on your house, you can either make no payments, and when you die, the house is sold to repay the loan, plus interest, or you make monthly interest payments, and just repay the capital on death out of your estate.

Generally you have to be over a certain age.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback