£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You are doing really well on the budgeting. That debt figure will soon be in the 64s. I used to save for school holidays when my DDs were small and money tight. Even days out cost a fortune. Well done on Christmas and birthday savings.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • FacelessNumber
    Options
    Hi ToP!

I've read your diary over the last couple of days and am loving how you lay it out with the daily and weekly to do lists, I think this is something I should start doing!!

You're doing so well with the budgeting, a few ups and downs are to be expected but you've handled everything really well, and I have no doubt you'll really start hammering down the debt in no time!

I'm subscribing to cheer you on :)
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Didn't have time to check in this morning, but today has been a NSD, and I've worked all day, so not much to report. I did manage to move around some money, but no debt overpayments as yet, as I'm not sure how much the statement balances will be on the CCs, and don't want to make any inadvertent overpayments like last month!

Signing off for a quiet evening with some knitting and a film (hurrah!), see you all tomorrow :)
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 8: Day 1

Good morning! Only just morning, but it still counts, right?

Having made it past the 1st of the month and balanced budgets and moved money around, I'm just waiting for my child benefit to arrive and one more invoice to come in from March's work to really see how the budget is looking for April, but I'm optimistic that I'll be within £70 of having three months salary and business expenses covered once that invoice money comes in, and have enough from the child benefit to make our budgets semi-comfortable, for the month. Still a fair way to go before I'm anywhere near paying off enough debt to get into the £64k bracket, but there's still 28 days left in the month to figure it out. :j

I'm finally feeling that we've passed the really manic home/work/life phase that I've felt that we were in for weeks now, and I'm aware my mental state is notably less frenetic and I'm able to enjoy things more. I operate well under stress, but even I have my limits!

To do today:
    1. social media while working. Already done for one business, need to do the other when I switch 'jobs' this afternoon!
    2. start sourdough.
    3. go for a walk - I won't make 10,000 steps, but I'd be happy to crack 5,000.
    4. menu plan and mysupermarket for next week - I'd like this to come in <£60, as the children and I are away for the back end of the week, and we have a fair bit of food in the freezer.
    5. plan out working time for next week.
    6. policy review for the charity I am a trustee of (BORING. I have been putting it off all week).
    7. get to the toe decreases on my second sock - I made really good progress on this yesterday.

To do this week:
    1. make candles. PLEASE universe, can you give me enough time to allow this to make it onto my daily list? It would make me happy.
    2. list nursing chair on eb@y. This is going to be to April what The Handbag was to March, isn't it?
    3. knit the first of the pair of my dad's birthday socks.
    4. sort out some more stuff to eb@y next week when I go to visit my parents on the weekend - they have a boxful of stuff that I sorted out about a year ago in their spare room!
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    I have the new YNAB and I budget money into following months due to how my income comes in. I did March and half of April in february...you just click to the month ahead and do as normal.

Ah yes, that works if you're actually assigning it to specific categories. But in Classic, you can just assign it to the following month but not budget it against categories yet. So all of my March payments get sent to Income For April, but not budgeted into categories - then I can see at the start of the month how much is sitting there in total. Whereas in New, you can only assign to future months (in order to make it disappear from your current month's Available To Spend) if you put it in particular places. Which is why TOPM has a category called To Be Budgeted - she's effectively reinventing a category that existed in Classic.

I'm such a YNAB nerd, I'm sorry I'm so boring! :rotfl:
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    You know you can get a sim only mobile plan with giffgaff, for your mobile, for £20 a month (rolling contract) with unlimited minutes and data? When you present contract runs out, i would very much suggest this, okay>?
  • Melissa332
    Options
    Well, I admire your optimism and look forward to seeing how you get on.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I'm just going to round up yesterday's lists before I start today's...

To do today (yesterday!):
    1. social media while working. Done!
    2. start sourdough. Done, made 2 loaves.
    3. go for a walk - I won't make 10,000 steps, but I'd be happy to crack 5,000. 5,029. It still counts as done!
    4. menu plan and mysupermarket for next week - I'd like this to come in <£60, as the children and I are away for the back end of the week, and we have a fair bit of food in the freezer. Done! And it's looking like it's going to come in <£60 even with the ingredients for making a meal to take to visit friends next week.
    5. plan out working time for next week. Done!
    6. policy review for the charity I am a trustee of (BORING. I have been putting it off all week). Done, hurrah!
    7. get to the toe decreases on my second sock - I made really good progress on this yesterday. Not just done, but I finished the socks entirely, so I can start on my dad's birthday ones.

To do this week:
    1. make candles. PLEASE universe, can you give me enough time to allow this to make it onto my daily list? It would make me happy.
    2. list nursing chair on eb@y. This is going to be to April what The Handbag was to March, isn't it?
    3. knit the first of the pair of my dad's birthday socks.
    4. sort out some more stuff to eb@y next week when I go to visit my parents on the weekend - they have a boxful of stuff that I sorted out about a year ago in their spare room!
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    john2054 wrote: »
    You know you can get a sim only mobile plan with giffgaff, for your mobile, for £20 a month (rolling contract) with unlimited minutes and data? When you present contract runs out, i would very much suggest this, okay>?
    I'm an iPhone addict and have been looking forward to upgrading this summer, but I have decided that (assuming such a thing is possible, and if I don't suddenly magically have more money to spare) I am going to get a sim only deal for 6 months when my contract expires, so that at least I'm saving money for those six months before I upgrade. I can manage an extra 6 months on my current phone!
    Ah yes, that works if you're actually assigning it to specific categories. But in Classic, you can just assign it to the following month but not budget it against categories yet. So all of my March payments get sent to Income For April, but not budgeted into categories - then I can see at the start of the month how much is sitting there in total. Whereas in New, you can only assign to future months (in order to make it disappear from your current month's Available To Spend) if you put it in particular places. Which is why TOPM has a category called To Be Budgeted - she's effectively reinventing a category that existed in Classic.

I'm such a YNAB nerd, I'm sorry I'm so boring! :rotfl:
    Yes, this! I like to see the money all in one chunk on the 1st of the month. I feel like it must be possible, but I haven't really looked into it.
    Melissa332 wrote: »
    Well, I admire your optimism and look forward to seeing how you get on.
    Thank you!
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Which iPhone do you currently have, out of interest? I have an old 5c that keeps threatening to give up the ghost: battery wearing out. I like how small it is (I have dropped it so many times and not smashed the screen but I'm wondering how much bigger the 6 feels? I don't want to go to the 7.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport