13»

Comments

• barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    This.

Ours stopped working today with a fault code that said 'internal error'. Rang my plumber who suggested pouring boiling water on the condense pipe outside then pressing reset. Job done.

Same here, only difference is that I got the same advice from an old MSE forum thread :D:D

Said pipe is now wrapped in what remains of our old electric blanket!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    . My wife and I are supposed to be among those in society who are vulnerable,

As others have asked why do you consider yourself vulnerable ? If you say "age - mid 70's" - then no sympathy.

Get the fan heater out.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    barbiedoll wrote: »
    Said pipe is now wrapped in what remains of our old electric blanket!
    Since an old blanket will get wet (from the pipe and rain) and freeze again, you really should invest in some (cheap) polystyrene pipe lagging.

It won't freeze and will provide the required insulation. The old blanket will do nothing.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since an old blanket will get wet (from the pipe and rain) and freeze again, you really should invest in some (cheap) polystyrene pipe lagging.

It won't freeze and will provide the required insulation. The old blanket will do nothing.

I've wrapped mine is some bubble wrap, free, from an online delivery, seems to have worked.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've wrapped mine is some bubble wrap, free, from an online delivery, seems to have worked.
    That's certainly better than anything able to absorb moisture and then freeze. It's also the money-saving option, of course. :)
  • Autumnella
    Autumnella Posts: 605 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What do you mean "by-passed the problem"?!
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I was not able to climb a loft ladder we would be very, very cold by now with nobody to turn to!

I would recommend you get some form of contingency.
    I would recommend 2 heated throws. They are quite cheap to buy and very cheap to run.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thursday 1st March, my wife and I are in our mid 70's and the boiler is not working this morning. I rang my boiler service provider, to whom I pay about £170 a year, only to get the message that because of heavy demand they would not even put my call in a queue and suggested I call back some other time. My wife and I are supposed to be among those in society who are vulnerable, especially in weather like we have today, but there is no provision with my service provider to find out who it is needs help. I have now been forced to go into my loft and luckily have found a discharge pipe is frozen. I have temporarily by-passed the problem and awaiting a reply to my email to them. If I was not able to climb a loft ladder we would be very, very cold by now with nobody to turn to! My rant ends...

In what way are you both vulnerable squidly?
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Some confusion on here about the Priority Service Register - which is managed by your energy supplier - and a priority service offered by boiler/central heating services.
    Your energy supplier (in concert with your distributor) will use the PSR if there is an interruption to supply (e.g. powercut).
    This is not the same as registering with your service contract - even if they are part of the same company. As above, they need to be told about any issues you have with your system - leading to bottlenecks at that point. After that the prioritisation would kick in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure