MSE News: Mortgage prisoners need help to escape costly loans, watchdog told

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Financial Services Consumer Panel wants a new rule to allow those who cannot switch to have more freedom ..."

Comments

• carlaeliza
    carlaeliza Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I was slightly relieved to be given a label! I am a "mortgage prisoner", I try not to think about it most of the time, but not only did i take out 100% loan, it was split in two by a builders incentive to buy a new build...... I had 10 years to pay back the second mortgage but sadly i assumed we'd be able to move long before the 10 years were up...... no such hope now,..... the property is worth less than i payed and others in my block can't sell even at the lower value!! I have 3.5 years to save 50k or try and convince a lender to help...... hopeless! And if rates rise then im screwed! (Crest Nicholson's easybuy)
  • The_Pixi
    The_Pixi Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    My opinion on the situation,

Tough!

My savings rates aren't getting any better.
    Mortgage Balance £182,789.00 of £259,250.00 Overpayment Total £48,847.13
    Monthly payment down £258.82 Overpaid last month £1096.38
    End of month 11/2017
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The_Pixi wrote: »

Tough!

So you don't care about repo's and banks potentially profiteering from customers who cannot move just so you can have a few extra meals out - nice!
    Space available for rent
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    "These increases are inconsistent with the principle of treating customers fairly and could be addressed if the FSA introduces a new rule as we suggest."

Tosh and pointless. Higher risk has always meant higher rates - which is why unsecured borrowing has always had higher rates than mortgages. These "prisoners" have moved themselves into a mix of mortgage and unsecured borrowing (to the extent that they are in neg eq the excess of borrowing over value is effectively an unsecured loan).

Even if the FSA introduces a muppets charter as suggested (why is it that its always the ones who did something daft that need protecting at the expense of the rest who used some sense?) it still won't mean other lenders will be willing to take people from other lenders with sky high rates. Does anyone really think that if Halifax shoves its SVR up to 10%, HSBC will want to take a load of negative equity loans at 4.5%? If anything it risks an upward spiral in an attempt to push people off to someone else because when people squeal about rate rises the lender can just say "Well move then - the FSA have provision in the rules to do it - but if you can't find a lender that wants you, its right that we price the risk accordingly!"
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • one2escape
    one2escape Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    So you don't care about repo's and banks potentially profiteering from customers who cannot move just so you can have a few extra meals out - nice!

Cant wait for these people to get a reminder of this when the numbers of bankrupcy case rise dramtically. It is no longer a case of if but when. Im in 80k negative equality and if my rates increase anymore its bankrupcy for me. Who does bankrupcy and repos help? House prices are only go one way now and it aint up.
  • The_Pixi
    Options
    So you don't care about repo's and banks potentially profiteering from customers who cannot move just so you can have a few extra meals out -

No I don't, and I dont understand why you would think I would/should? I think that's something the person who is 'trapped' should have been thinking about when they considered getting themselves a 100% mortgage (gamble if you will)

nice!

It's finance, it's not nice - my saving rate is testament to that, along with all those suffering the consequences of the financial meltdown...

Remember 'we're all in this together' :cool:
    End of month 11/2017
  • The_Pixi
    Options
    one2escape wrote: »
    Cant wait for these people to get a reminder of this when the numbers of bankrupcy case rise dramtically. It is no longer a case of if but when. Im in 80k negative equality and if my rates increase anymore its bankrupcy for me. Who does bankrupcy and repos help? House prices are only go one way now and it aint up.

I do sympathise with those who are facing this reality, but at the same time I dont think much should be done to help.

You also seem to be suggesting that everyone wants house prices to rise - I think they should fall, but I in no way think it wont be an unpleasant and messy affair.
    End of month 11/2017
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My opinion on the situation, Tough! My savings rates aren't getting any better.
    Wait till you get a mortgage. I suspect that you won't give a fig about savings rates when the boot's on the other foot.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Tough!

This kind of attitude is to be expected from the elderly relying on their savings interest to live. But according to your sig, you've only got £20k in savings. Granted, to some people it's a lot of money, but if savings rates go up by 1% across the board, you'll only be £200 a year (less tax) better off. And the fact that you can save £500 a month means you're hardly struggling. Is £200 a year really enough of a difference to have turned you so heartless and short-sighted over the situation?

I've now got more in savings than in floating rate borrowings, and my pension would be a lot healthier if rates rise, but I can deal with interest rates being low for the good of the economy, which like it or not, means it's ultimately good for you.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options

Nobody forced them into taking out the mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure