MSE News: Mortgage prisoners need help to escape costly loans, watchdog told

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Pixi wrote: »
    I even object to the base rate having been cut to 0.5 for so long, it should all have been allowed to go up the swanny back in 08-09.
    Then I would have been able to sympathise with you for having lost your job in the aftermath. Or perhaps you would have considered it to be be the right thing to have happened to you.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • The_Pixi
    The_Pixi Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Then I would have been able to sympathise with you for having lost your job in the aftermath. Or perhaps you would have considered it to be be the right thing to have happened to you.

I don't get your point. Perhaps rather than trying to get some kind of veiled dig in you could contribute by posting something more concrete.
    Mortgage Balance £182,789.00 of £259,250.00 Overpayment Total £48,847.13
    Monthly payment down £258.82 Overpaid last month £1096.38
    End of month 11/2017
  • The_Pixi
    Options
    That was predictable.
    you asked a yes or no type question,

why don't you be unpredictable and give us your answer to

"whether "trapped" home-owners should receive some help in the current financial climate."

incidentally what does that even mean? the financial climate will always be current. :p
    End of month 11/2017
  • Consumerist
    Options
    I don't get your point. Perhaps rather than trying to get some kind of veiled dig in you could contribute by posting something more concrete.
    Then let me explain.

The point, as I understand it, is that Bank Rate was dropped to reduce costs for business with a view to promoting growth; a plan which doesn't seem to have worked too well so far.

So who would high rates benefit most? Are you a banker, I wonder?
  • The_Pixi
    Options
    Then let me explain.

The point, as I understand it, is that Bank Rate was dropped to reduce costs for business with a view to promoting growth; a plan which doesn't seem to have worked too well so far.

So who would high rates benefit most? Are you a banker, I wonder?

Well that is an interesting position to assert, it may not be entirely wrong, but it certainly isn't the full picture.

I still fail to see how you could then predict my job loss - again drop the veiled digs it makes you loose credibility, I'm already tired of talking to you when you comment back like that.
    End of month 11/2017
  • Consumerist
    Options
    you asked a yes or no type question, why don't you be unpredictable and give us your answer to "whether "trapped" home-owners should receive some help in the current financial climate."
    I think there is a case to give some help. You have made it clear that you disagree.
    incidentally what does that even mean? the financial climate will always be current. :p
    Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that the current financial climate is only current for a limited time otherwise it would be an enduring financial climate, wouldn't it?.
  • The_J
    The_J Posts: 1,250 Forumite
    Options
    I might sympathise The Pixi if you had even a small amount in savings but really, the amount you are losing is less than I bet on a single race at the Cheltenham Festival. It's negligible to the point of irrelevance.

If you are so smart and know how to fix everything you wouldn't be investing in crappy return ISAs.
    The J is a Financial Advisor-This site doesn't check anyone's status and as such any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Always seek professional advice.
  • ashleypride
    ashleypride Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So this brings us back to whether "trapped" home-owners (not traders/speculators/gamblers) should receive some help in the current financial climate.

Rewarding the reckless, and punishing the prudent doesn't sound a good idea to me.

(But I guess we did it with the banks.)
  • Consumerist
    Options
    I still fail to see how you could then predict my job loss - again drop the veiled digs it makes you loose credibility, I'm already tired of talking to you when you comment back like that.
    Perhaps you would agree that the reason for increasing unemployment is that businesses are not growing quickly enough to employ more people. If more businesses fail then the greater the likelihood of any particular individual losing their job - including you.

As businesses fail, jobs are lost and no one can afford to borrow from the banks who make profits from loans. In the end even the bankers would lose their jobs. In fact, this has started to happen already.
  • The_Pixi
    Options
    I think there is a case to give some help.

predictable.

Did you even get the relevance of why I asked you? :D
    Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that the current financial climate is only current for a limited time otherwise it would be an enduring financial climate, wouldn't it?.

yes, yes it would lol. Which means the climate is always changing so when do you think it will be fine to let 'trapped' homeowners stay trapped. Remember you only want to help in this "Current climate"

so next year you are happy to let them drown - or not?
    End of month 11/2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills