PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London property with sibling

Options
We are 2 siblings in our late 20s who want to get on the property ladder.

We are both living in London and single, so keen to try and stay as central as possible (ideally not huge commutes) and work fairly long hours/demanding jobs, so again keen not to be too far out.

Salary 1 (sibling 1 - me!): 44k
Salary 2 (sibling 2): 28k

Additional funds: c.500k from savings and inheritance, to be evenly divided (appreciate we are very fortunate to have this!)

Key question is: do we buy property together or apart?

Parents and sibling 2 very focused on us buying together to get more for our money. However the cost of SDLT is prohibitive and given that this is a s/t arrangement, I feel like it would make more sense to buy separately.

Can anyone shed any further light?

Many thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 November 2019 at 9:09PM
    Options
    You'll be financially tied together. One of you gets a poor credit record, the other suffers it too.

In many ways, joint property purchase is a bigger commitment than marriage, so think carefully!

Make sure you have very clear understandings, in writing, about who owns how much, who is responsible for maintenance/ongoing costs etc.

And critically, what happens if your life-plans change.

* one of you marries, or just wants to move a partner in?
    * one of you wants to sell, the other does not?
    * one of you loses job/income. What happens?

Consider each and every possible future scenario and agree what you'd do, then include that in a written Deed.

But you are right, assuming relations are good, and you take sensible approach, this can be a way to afford somewhere better than you each could alone.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tieing yourself to a sibling financially at your age is not something that I’d recommend.

However on your figures sibling 2 would struggle to find a decent property in London. It’s doable but there wouldn’t be a lot of choice.

Sibling 1 is well placed to buy and could afford at least a 2 bed in suburbia - so why not buy and rent a room to sibling 2? That way the financial tie can be broken, sibling 2 gets a chance to get a nice place cheap and save until he/she has a better deposit/higher salary.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Sorry, but I just see the trouble coming down the line in 5 or 10 years when one or both of you wants to disentangle and you find it’s not simple at all.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Being dispassionate ( and the mother of a few children) I wouldn't advise the higher earner to buy with the lower earner. It is a recipe for disaster. You buying and renting a room to your sibling would be easier in the long run.
  • Sashkinson
    Options
    Thanks all

Any tips on how to have these conversations?

Parents are very set on buying a house rather than flat (see flat as waste of money/market flooded with flats, and want Siblings 1&2 to buy a house together). As the inheritance mentioned upthread is currently in their possession, I obviously want to manage these conversations well and try and highlight my POV.

My gut instinct is buy separately and to aim for a flat of my own in London - renting at mates' rates to sibling. Sibling gets angry when I approach the "buying separately" idea as sees us buying together as having more for our money... Nightmare! We are close but I think buying together could be a recipe for disaster as mentioned upthread...
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If Sibling can't even *discuss* the idea of buying separately without getting angry, you don't want to be buying with Sibling.

There are obviously advantages and disadvantages to all the available options (including the option of not buying anything at all). But if Sibling's response to considering those options is to get angry, they're not somebody you want to be buying with. If you do, you'll have lots to discuss with them in the future - from the colour of your curtains to whether the roof needs replacing to what's going to happen now you want to buy Sibling out and live with your new partner.

I don't see how you're going to get through this without Sibling and your parents getting angry with you at some point. But I think the total anger will be less if you do what you want to do now, than it will be if you go ahead with their plans (against your own instincts, thus adding your own resentment to the mix) and then wait for things to go south.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You seem to be saying that, income aside, you are both Beneficiaries of a will. You are inheritting from the Estate of a deceased (relative?). Correct?

Then you say " the inheritance mentioned upthread is currently in their possession," so that suggests your parents are the Executors of the will. Correct?

The fact they are Executors does give them some control during the period of Probate, but ultimately the money belongs to you and your sibling. They (the Executors) have nochoice but to give you your inherritance once Probate is granted.

It is then up to you and your sibling to decide what to do with your respective shares.

No one here can advise you on your relationship with either your sibling, or your parents, but at the end of the day you should do what you think is best for yourself with your money.

By all means listen to advice, whether from posters here or your family.And if you decide that a joint purchase is best, fine. But if you are not convinced of this, then you should not be swayed by emotional manipulation. You are under no obligation to buy jointly. This is a major life decision that will have long-reaching repercussions, so be dispassionate and objective in reaching your decision.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Annisele wrote: »
    If Sibling can't even *discuss* the idea of buying separately without getting angry, you don't want to be buying with Sibling.

There are obviously advantages and disadvantages to all the available options (including the option of not buying anything at all). But if Sibling's response to considering those options is to get angry, they're not somebody you want to be buying with. If you do, you'll have lots to discuss with them in the future - from the colour of your curtains to whether the roof needs replacing to what's going to happen now you want to buy Sibling out and live with your new partner.
    People buying together is becoming more and more of a norm in many parts of London.

You do have to understand it's ultimately a temporary way of owning property and as G_M says, you need to plan and agree formally on as many scenarios as you can think of.

It's extremely likely that life events will come along and disrupt your tenure. You need to be crystal clear about this, and no thinking you'll just muddle along and be able to come to an understanding because you know each other so well.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, your potential purchasing power would get you a terrace house in some parts of London, but choice would be limited.

I agree with others if talking it over with sibling leads to anger now, it bodes badly for being joint owners of a property.

GM may be right about the parents holding inheritance as executors, but I am wondering if it is actually their inheritance that they wish to gift to you and your sibling? That might explain the dynamic of wanting to control - or at least heavily impact - the decisions to be made.
  • Sashkinson
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    OP, your potential purchasing power would get you a terrace house in some parts of London, but choice would be limited.

I agree with others if talking it over with sibling leads to anger now, it bodes badly for being joint owners of a property.

GM may be right about the parents holding inheritance as executors, but I am wondering if it is actually their inheritance that they wish to gift to you and your sibling? That might explain the dynamic of wanting to control - or at least heavily impact - the decisions to be made.

Sorry, yes, I wasn't clear.

Inheritance basically refers to a gift from parents so technically it is their money, hence the understandable desire to control what this goes on / invest it in property that they consider to be a sound investment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure