Natwest Login Process

Options
Hi all,

I was thinking about switching to NatWest to get the £150. However, I've put a bit of effort into personal cyber security, and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the login process is like for NatWest.

For instance, with HSBC you require a full username, a full password and finally a one time access code generated by the mobile app. This works really well for me, especially since requiring the full password works well with a password manager.

By comparion, I also have an account with Santander, which requires a full user name, and then three characters from a password, and then three digits from a pin. For me this isn't as good; not only is there no 2FA, but the need to pick out digits means it can't be automatically filled by a password manager.

So yeah, before I go through the switching process, I was wondering if anyone could describe the full login process for NatWest. All I can see is that you need a full customer number, but what are the next stages?

TIA :beer:

Comments

• bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    App: either Fingerprint or Passcode which you choose during registration of app. Customer number is saved and does not need to be entered

website: customer number + 4 digit Pin of your choice + Password of you choice. Customer number might be saved by your browser (settings)
  • tiffin65
    Options
    thanks for the response, I just wanted to clarify that the pin and password are given in full, rather than just some of the characters?

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bhjm wrote: »
    website: customer number + 4 digit Pin of your choice + Password of you choice. Customer number might be saved by your browser (settings)

Last two times I accessed NatWest, the website was as above PLUS a one-time access code texted to your registered mobile number.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't use NatWest but I do know that other banks have varying login processes so I'd not assume that what others have is what you'll get.

For example my login process for Santander is totally different to the one you describe, & would fit your criteria perfectly!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tiffin65 wrote: »
    I also have an account with Santander, which requires a full user name, and then three characters from a password, and then three digits from a pin. For me this isn't as good; not only is there no 2FA....
    All banks are required to implement 2FA for online banking by March 2020, so don't base any decisions on what can be seen right now.
  • bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks for the response, I just wanted to clarify that the pin and password are given in full, rather than just some of the characters?

i hope this helps :)

click to enlarge
    oppoax7u.jpg
    5y7jnouu.jpg
  • tiffin65
    Options
    Thanks for the images, good to see the exact process.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

no - it's specific characters from both the Password and pin, plus a OTP sent to your phone
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    no - it's specific characters from both the Password and pin, plus a OTP sent to your phone

As a NatWest customer, the above is correct.
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    In case it is, or becomes, relevant, this applies to Royal Bank of Scotland and Ulster Bank as well. (NatWest and Ulster Bank are owned by RBS, and all three use the same system.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure