Taking voluntary redundancy advice

Hi I've about 4 weeks left in my current job where I've worked 15 years. I've gone through a few consultations with work and I've decided to leave and take enhanced redundancy.

I've a few questions I was hoping somebody could answer.

Am I right in thinking I can claim JSA whilst still looking for a job, through the last 2 years of my national insurance contributions for 6 months?

Me and my girlfriend currently own our house (mortgaged) in total she's about £11000 in savings and I'll be getting close to 13,000 from redundancy would this affect me claiming? She currently works 36 hours a week.

A friend mentioned getting cheaper council tax?

Any help would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes, if you have full NI payments for tax years 2015-16 and 2016-17 you can claim contributions based JSA for six months regardless of any savings you have (I think it may be referred to as 'new style' JSA if you are in a Universal Credit area. You can continue claiming after six months if you haven't found a job by then just to receive the NI credits .

Council tax supprt might be available if you have a low household income - I think you'd need to check with your particular local council as to what the critieria are.
  • bettz
    bettz Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes i've paid NI for the last 15 years so i should qualify for that,just want to get a plan in place as hopefully i can get straight back into work.

I don't think we qualify for council tax support as with my redundancy we have over £26,000 in savings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure