PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cohabitation agreement

Options
My daughter will be soon be the sole owner of the property but her boyfriend says he will be contributing some money, if they draw the Cohabitation agreement do the mortgage lender needs to know this?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    she needs to tell them there will be another adult in the property if this is a purchase with a mortgage.

does she want to give him a beneficial interest in the property?
  • mrseyes
    mrseyes Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    she needs to tell them there will be another adult in the property if this is a purchase with a mortgage.

does she want to give him a beneficial interest in the property?

No and although he say he may be contributing some money he is not going to stay there all the time (they have not been long enough together yet)
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 July 2018 at 1:48PM
    Options
    She would be wise to not accept any money from him if she does want him to have any rights to the property. Even with legalities aside it could come back to bite her and cause aggravation. If the relationship works out they could buy together later.
    Tlc

Edit: I thought you meant money towards the house purchase, do you mean paying her some rent? It would be best if any agreement to split bills or contribute included splitting utilities and food but not the mortgage and made clear your daughter pays the mortgage herself if she wants to without doubt maintain 100% ownership.

The mortgage lenders will need to know if anyone else is living in the property if the question is asked. If he is not living there then no but do you have a co-habitation agreement if you don't co-habit?
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I would say she needs to make it clear that the money is in no way rent or mortgage payments, and that it is a contribution to general household expenses (utilities, phone, upkeep, food etc.) or else the guy becomes a tenant or lodger with the associated rights.
    Also an agreement like this needs a clear exit clause, i.e. he has to get out of the house upon request if it all goes pear shaped, she don't want an ex claiming a right to be there. (Although I am sure they'll live happily ever after).
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What exactly will he be contributing money towards? The deposit? The mortgage? Household bills?
  • mrseyes
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    What exactly will he be contributing money towards? The deposit? The mortgage? Household bills?

He hasn't specified what he will be contributing money towards.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I would be very wary about any relatively new partner that talks about "contributing" at this early stage.
    It does sound like he thinks he should be due a share of the property without making any legal commitments. If he is not living there have him buy food or other consumables for example when he is there.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Where is he living now.

How long before this other places gets dropped and this now and then becomes always.

He needs to have an alternative permanent residence or the council tax discount could be an issue.

I think this needs to be more arms length, temp guest not cohabit.

I would even go as far as no cash changes hands for anything to do with the house.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's very sensible for your daughter to be thinking about a cohabitation agreement.

When she buys, she will have to tell the lender about any other adult who will be living in the property, this is so that they can ensure that he signs a form to say (effectively) that he will move out if the lender has to repossess the property.

She would not normally have to tell the lender if he moves in after she has bought, as any claim he might then have to the house would be later in time than that lenders mortgage being secured over the property, so they would be protected.

She will need to make sure that she tells the insurer as they normally need to know how many people are living at the property.

In terms of the cohabitation agreement, get this drawn up professionally . It can be written to state that he won't gain any interest in the property regardless of what contributions he makes, unless there is a further written agreement to say that he will.

If / when they decide that he will be thee full time and will start contributing equally they should revise the cohabitation agreement to define what interests he will gain (this might, for instance, include recording how much equity she has at that time as a % of the value of the house, and recording that the will get that % of value and he will be entitled to 50% of equity over that amount, or that he will be entitled to be repaid whatever *capital* he has paid towards the mortgage, or even to explicitly record that he is paying rent and won't be entitled to a share of the house value)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • mrseyes
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    It's very sensible for your daughter to be thinking about a cohabitation agreement.

When she buys, she will have to tell the lender about any other adult who will be living in the property, this is so that they can ensure that he signs a form to say (effectively) that he will move out if the lender has to repossess the property.

She would not normally have to tell the lender if he moves in after she has bought, as any claim he might then have to the house would be later in time than that lenders mortgage being secured over the property, so they would be protected.

She will need to make sure that she tells the insurer as they normally need to know how many people are living at the property.

In terms of the cohabitation agreement, get this drawn up professionally . It can be written to state that he won't gain any interest in the property regardless of what contributions he makes, unless there is a further written agreement to say that he will.

If / when they decide that he will be thee full time and will start contributing equally they should revise the cohabitation agreement to define what interests he will gain (this might, for instance, include recording how much equity she has at that time as a % of the value of the house, and recording that the will get that % of value and he will be entitled to 50% of equity over that amount, or that he will be entitled to be repaid whatever *capital* he has paid towards the mortgage, or even to explicitly record that he is paying rent and won't be entitled to a share of the house value)

Presentably he lives with his parent
    He said he will contribute after she has bought the property and mortgage is being secured over the property in her name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure