Electric cars

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Cherrypicking one car with an issue doesn't remove the fact that those components arent there to go wrong, on all EVs and will never need maintenance or replacement, which costs money and is a source of profit for dealers and manufacturers.

That reminds me of a 1980's advert for the 2CV...

6b3155c1636db3ede85057a68de10bd0.jpg
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too. But the main issue of the battery should have an indicator of its health - eg: the 12 bars in a new Leaf, and second hand ones advertised as 11 bars or 10. As long as the trade doesn't learn how to "clock" these you should be able to buy with some confidence..
    Hi

Our battery pack has an optional but free condition health check every time it's serviced ... the manufacturer uses the resultant data to gauge anticipated lifespans in the field against design criteria and in return they extend the warranty on the battery ...

The process is pretty quick & it would make sense for it to eventually become a requirement to note the battery condition within the MOT process, in which case there should always be a 'recent' report on the condition ... it's also likely (because it make commercial sense) that garages & dealers selling pre-owned EVs will be required to provide a battery status report prior to sale ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That reminds me of a 1980's advert for the 2CV...
    Used to have one, once transported an upright chest of drawers with back seats out & roof rolled back. Memories of open top driving in the Lake District.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    it's highly likely that there'll be a number of major players that don't currently exist or readily come to mind!
    Young Master Dyson is supposed to be putting money into developing a BEV. Mr Fisker reckons he's got solid state batteries. Tesla may actually keep going and produce large numbers of BEVs.

"Hoover beats as it sweeps as it cleans." I wonder what a Dysonmobeel will do?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Me too. But the main issue of the battery should have an indicator of its health - eg: the 12 bars in a new Leaf, and second hand ones advertised as 11 bars or 10. As long as the trade doesn't learn how to "clock" these you should be able to buy with some confidence..
    There's software one can plumb into the car's diagnostics via the OBD2 port for the Leaf at least. Gives more exact readings than the vehicle's own displays.

I expect there will be companies offering refurbished battery packs in a few years, just like recon engines from the olden days.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's software one can plumb into the car's diagnostics via the OBD2 port for the Leaf at least. Gives more exact readings than the vehicle's own displays.

Yep, and Zoe mentioned above. I've personally done this, with the same dongle and tablet, and different software on a Zoe (CanZE), Leaf (LeafSpy) and Soul EV (Torque Pro with custom PIDS). And also Nissan 350Z with Torque Pro.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Cherrypicking one car with an issue doesn't remove the fact that those components arent there to go wrong, on all EVs and will never need maintenance or replacement, which costs money and is a source of profit for dealers and manufacturers. That was the point of my post regarding dealers and why they dont like EVs.

I dont know what the issue is with the S, or if its been fixed now, the problem could simply be one common issue, for example ISTR that the steering box has a component shared with (ironically) JLR that is faulty and now subject to a recall but Tesla appear to have dragged their feet acknowledging and then sorting that out. And whatever the issue is with the S, you'll never need to buy spark plugs, exhaust,and so on (back to my list) for a model S.

So it would have been much worse if it had all the moving and replaceable parts an ICE car has !!

It's also a little misleading too as as far as I'm aware the Tesla's problems are mostly of the "irritating" kind and not even anything to do with the drive train. When people talk of "reliability issues" you normally think of cars failing to start or breaking down, not of software glitches or other annoyances which don't prevent you using the car.

For example a friend of mine has an S and he needs to get the door handles fixed as they don't retract flush now. Nothing to do with it being an EV and can't really be compared with a breakdown, but would be counted as a "reliability issue".
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not new news, just the obvious need to increase battery production, and for the 'old boys' to get on with battery deals/partnerships.

Electric Car Growth Produces Battery Shortages, Carmakers Can’t Match Production With Demand
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 August 2018 at 3:23PM
    Options
    ed110220 wrote: »
    It's also a little misleading too as as far as I'm aware the Tesla's problems are mostly of the "irritating" kind and not even anything to do with the drive train. When people talk of "reliability issues" you normally think of cars failing to start or breaking down, not of software glitches or other annoyances which don't prevent you using the car.

For example a friend of mine has an S and he needs to get the door handles fixed as they don't retract flush now. Nothing to do with it being an EV and can't really be compared with a breakdown, but would be counted as a "reliability issue".

I agree, wonky cup holders aren't what I call a reliability issue but it is the same for all the cars on the list, ICE or EV.
    "Nearly 38% of Tesla Model S owners reported faults in our most recent reliability survey, with issues split fairly evenly between bodywork, interior trim and the cars' electric motors.

Other areas cited by Tesla owners are leaking cooling pumps for the battery pack,

Source"

That is quite a high proportion of owners having problems with the cars' electric motors. Presumably, they are referring to the drive motors, but you never know.
  • Soulginge
    Options
    There is nothing that would convince me to buy an electric car right now, certainly not a Tesla. Far too overpriced for a glorified iPad on wheels that creaks like an old bed frame. I was stung once before by listening to so called "experts" and bought a diesel car that, by the time I came to have to move it on, had a resale value no where near the petrol version because of stories of jacked up tax prices for diesel cars.

The Infrastructure for electric cars just is not there at the moment, and won't be for a good long time. I happen to live in a small block of flats where there is no scope whatsoever for charging an electric vehicle overnight unless I run a cable from my bedroom window. There certainly won't be a charging point in the car park any time soon and you can bet that if there was, there would be no guarantee of being able to park in the correct space and I'd be screwed.

No chance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure