PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Have I been mis sold?

Options
Recently moved in to my home only to discover an undisclosed defect in the flooring. It was hidden by a rug when I visited to view and when the survey was done. The surveyor says they do not lift rugs or shift furniture so "deadlock" was reached.

The vendor ticked NO on the Law Society Property Information Form (at 2.2)where it was asked "Is the seller aware of anything which might lead to a dispute about the property or a property nearby?" What should I do please?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What has your solicitor advised?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My solicitor suggests small claims court.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems the most appropriate course of action. In order to cover the cost of the necessary repair.
  • System
    Options
    The flooring - concrete base covered with laminated boards - in the dining room is bulging upward in an area that was not seen because it was covered with a rug. The vendors had used screws in their failed attempt to correct this. So I think it would be disputed if an approach was made to them.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    belvalpat wrote: »
    My solicitor suggests small claims court.

Just out of curiosity why are you ignoring the advice of a qualified professional, who has indemnity insurance to cover the eventuality of misplaced advice, and instead relying on the opinions of a bunch of unqualified strangers on the internet?
  • System
    Options
    I agree but where do I go for advice and help with this. I am elderly and finding it difficult to understand how to deal with it. I have exhausted all avenues in my search for assistance.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your solicitor...!
  • System
    Options
    I would go to the small claims court if I knew how. There is nobody out there to help the elderly. With respect Age UK, CAB etc. could not offer anything except out-of-date phone numbers. The solicitors I was given do not deal with small claims court cases.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Probably expansion caused by insufficient expansion gap around the edge. Laminate is cheap as chips if you want to replace or use a rug to cover it. The question you refer to relates to disputes with neighbours like boundary disputes. given that you could have lifted a rug, I would doubt that it would constitute a mis sold property. I would recommend that you just move forward and hope that this is the worst thing you'll find, if it is you've got off easy.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 August 2018 at 1:08PM
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

link to the gov website but if you google making a claim via small claims lots of advice comes up.

you need to decide if you genuinely have a case to claim anything for the repair or whether it is better all round that you just get the area repaired or replaced with something of your choice,

it could work out just as time consuming and costly fighting it as just replacing it.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills