PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Please Critique My House Move Figures

Options
fiisch
fiisch Posts: 510 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 8 August 2018 at 3:08PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi,

So we are looking seriously at escaping the rat-race and relocating to Lincolnshire, largely in search of better schools, a more relaxed lifestyle and larger family home.

We are currently considering two barn conversions - Plot 1, our dream home, and Plot 2, a similarly very nice property but not quite as grand as Plot 1.

I've run some back of a fag packet calculations (see below) and it looks like the dream home is out of reach, but Plot 2 looks a little more realistic.

Please can you have a look at my numbers and critique?! A lot of it is based on wild assumptions at the moment - are my figures realistic? Have I allowed enough play?

We are looking to this as a long-term move, and a complete fresh start. We would dearly love to make Plot 1 happen, but I'm struggling to find a way. I believe the mortgage would be affordable, but the income multiple doesn't seem to quite work - could there be a way?!

The lion's share of this income is earned via a limited company (I am an IT contractor), therefore the affordability I have been offered by the mortgage brokers I've spoken to varies wildly...

My assumptions consider that the builder (they're new build properties) will consider offers and paying stamp on the basis that the property market seems fairly slow in the area at the moment. For example, Plot 1 was previously on the market for a higher amount, but offers received so far have been >£650,000 (which seems highly optimistic!!).

Edit: Grrrr this was in a pretty Excel table but MSE has removed the formatting.

Sale Price £450,000.00
Current Mortgage£246,000.00
Help To Buy Equity Loan £90,000.00
Estate Agent Fees (1.5%?) £6,750.00
Remaining Equity £107,250.00

Other Expenses
Removal Costs£3,000.00
Zopa Loan Settlement£6,000.00
Car PCP reduced to £200 p/m £3,360.00
Legal Fees £2,500.00
Contingiency £5,000.00
TOTAL£19,860.00

Remaining Equity after Expenses £87,390.00

Plot 1
Price: £729,950
Offer: £720,000 (Including Stamp)
Stamp: £26,000 (Not Included in Calculations)
Deposit: £85,000
Required Mortgage: £635,000
LTV: 88.2%

Remaining: £2,390
Joint Income: £117,500
Income Multiple: 5.4

Plot 2
Price: £550,000
Offer: £540,000 (Including Stamp)
Stamp: £17,000 (Not included in Calculations)
Deposit: £82,000
Required Mortgage: £458,000
LTV: 84.8%

Remaining: £5,390
Income Multiple: 3.9

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fiisch wrote: »
    My assumptions consider that the builder (they're new build properties) will consider offers and paying stamp on the basis that the property market seems fairly slow in the area at the moment. For example, Plot 1 was previously on the market for a higher amount, but offers received so far have been >£650,000 (which seems highly optimistic!!).

I would suggest these are pretty big assumptions, which you're best off testing before getting too bogged down in numbers - the impression I get is that developers don't tend to budge too much on price, but will haggle on "extras". However, this is of little use if you can't afford the property in the first place!
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most people escaping the rat race, do so when they have more equity to play with, and move somehere cheaper.

You seem to have not that much equity, are proposing a bigger more expensive property with a bigger mortgage.

When we moved out of the rat race, we cleared our mortgage, bought (actually built) a very much larger property and semi retired only working part time self employed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure