PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January 2019 at 1:43AM
    Options
    Think they sound like vests to me. Men used to wear long sleeve vests so I don't see why women wouldn't. Not sure about the bra thingie.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Maybe I'll lump the lot in as "Other undergarments, inc corsets"!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe I'll lump the lot in as "Other undergarments, inc corsets"!

That's the line I would have taken.....

I've done the 'holes in wardrobe thing' - I need some long sleeve casual tops. I have none, and I'm cold :rotfl:
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I spent coupons today and I'm not feeling entirely convinced I spent wisely... I had to go to the bank, so I cut through M&S as usual and they've moved their undies sale-rail to right beside the main walkway through that they know everyone uses as a short-cut... one gorgeous bra-let thingummie in utterly romantic and pretty deep-muted-old-rose pink softest velvet, half-price, and then I looked in Primark for the thing i definitely want to buy another couple of, ie roll-neck cotton top for layering in colder weather, and didn't find those but did come out with three new long-sleeved t-shirt-thickness tops which were reduced to a quid each...

So, well... yes, bargains - and yes, I will wear them... but I didn't need any of them.... I just wanted them... not quite sure how I will feel about them come the end of the year when I actually need something and have no coupons left!

Also, I can't quite work out the coupon cost.

Is the bra-let the same as a corset? It's a much flimsier garment, maybe more like a vest?

And the long-sleeved tops are too thin to be decent worn alone so I layer them under things for about 8 months of the year, under shirts or blouses in milder weather, under jumpers in colder... what are those? Surely not as many as for a blouse? Are they a form of combinations, do you think?!

One crop-top bra-let thing, and three long-sleeved layering-t-shirt-tops... argh! Maybe I should also consider whether I know what category I'm buying before I buy it :)

On the plus side, I finished my Stealth-Spot Green Skirt today so will wear it tomorrow! No coupons!

Laura, I’d cost the bra-thingy as a bra, so half a corset, so 1.5 coupons for it. The tops can count as vests since you’ll never wear them as outer garments, so 3 coupons each.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Thanks Pip!

So that's 10.5 coupons, on top of the 2 spent the other week.

66 - 12.5 = 53.5 coupons left.

I can do this. No more short-cuts through M&S, for a start. And since Primark haven't had those poloneck tops for two years I don't need to go in and look to see if they have them!

Keep my 53.5 coupons for things I will love and wear and appreciate...
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Gosh, 3 points for a vest top seems so much!! Really makes you think about value for coupons.

I'm still reading the Fashion on the Ration book and it really is fascinating. I love how resourceful people were, it is so inspiring.

I made a little list of things to mend. I need to find a pattern I bought before Christmas and have mislaid, and run up a dress. I'm sure I have some fabric I could use and not buy any more.
    I might also embroider my denim jacket - I already have a box of embroidery thread and I'm sure I can google to learn some stitches...
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I took a shortcut through M and S yesterday, and nearly came to grief. A pack of socks in the sale was good value, luckily I remember that I have 10 pairs of black socks already plus many others! There were some lovely pyjamas, but as usual in the sale, only in size 8 or 24. I was almost tempted to buy a large pair and cut them down, but I saw sense. I could easily make some, but pyjama trousers take a lot of fabric. It's so rare for me to go shopping, I went into Hotter shoes and again nearly succumbed, but they were a 'want' not a 'need'.

If I'm honest, I am being constrained less by the rationing than by the need to save some money. I bought a pair of pyjama bottoms today, only £5.99 in TKM, and I'm going to count 4 coupons as it's only the bottoms, I'll wear them with an old T-shirt or one of my other pyjama tops. I'm really aiming to get everything else from charity shops or make it this year, somehow I didn't fancy used pyjamas!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Hurrah! I've finished knitting my jumper at last. Just got to sew the thing up now . Not totally happy with it, as its knitted up very unevenly in spite of my best efforts, but its acrylic, so blocking is out of the question, I think. As is ironing it! (Wool makes me wheeze, so I tend to avoid it.) Also, I've got about 150g of the yarn left, so I'm wondering what to do with that. Not scarves, though - I've enough of them to sink the Titanic!

However, I will take part in Fix and Finish February, as I've found the pattern for the jumper I started making for OH, so I can finish that off next month. He'll be so pleased!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hurrah! I've finished knitting my jumper at last. Just got to sew the thing up now . Not totally happy with it, as its knitted up very unevenly in spite of my best efforts, but its acrylic, so blocking is out of the question, I think. As is ironing it! (Wool makes me wheeze, so I tend to avoid it.) Also, I've got about 150g of the yarn left, so I'm wondering what to do with that. Not scarves, though - I've enough of them to sink the Titanic!

However, I will take part in Fix and Finish February, as I've found the pattern for the jumper I started making for OH, so I can finish that off next month. He'll be so pleased!

oohhh. Photos, please! Great news, too, about finding that missing pattern.

I’m sorry to hear that wool makes you wheeze. I’m wondering whether it’s the lanolin or something in the cell structure, similar to cat dander... Hmmm.... Can you wear lanolin-based products? Have you tried alpaca? (Which is similar to work with but not the same.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Yes, happy to upload a photo of jumper when finished. I've decided it will be fine round the house and garden.

I used to be fine with wool until I made a firescreen embroidered with wool, and the fibres made me sneeze, and I've sneezed ever since when I've been handling/wearing wool. I've not tried alpaca, but I have worn cashmere cardigans and jumpers which I've bought, and I've been fine with them.

I've not tried lanolin based products either, I tend to look for either petroleum or glycerine
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure