PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Coachhouse own both freehold and leasehold wanting to convert garage.

Options
Hi, so I live in a coachhouse basically a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 garages underneath one garage is mine and the other 2 are leased to neighbours.
There are two titles with land registry a freehold and a lease hold title which I am the registered proprietor to both.

Just need an explanation of a few things;
The freehold title says I own all land shown edged with red on the plan. (Garden, the whole building, and driveway)

The leasehold title says the leasehold land is also edged with red
Note 1 - only the first floor apartment is included in the title.
Note 2 - only the first floor apartment and ground floor apartment are included in the title.
Short particulars of the lease under which the land is held.
Term 155 years
Parties: (1) BDW trading LTD (the original builders of the estate)
(2) the previous owner who I bought the coachhouse from.

This confused me as does that mean they both had some ownership of the lease or does it just mean BDW trading first owned the lease and then the previous owner was the second party solely to own the lease?

Just a few questions?
In essence am I basically leasing the apartment from myself as I am the freeholder?

Am I the outright owner now or is it possible that BDW trading still owns some rights/some sort of lease to the property? (Even though as I say, land registry only shows 2 documents the freehold and the leasehold which I am the registered proprietor for both.)

If I was to convert the garage into a living space removal of garage door and replace with a window. Would this cause any issues anywhere along the way if the right planning permission was granted and no objections from neighbours?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My understanding is the lease will always show those names but as you now have the lease you own it.

As for converting the garage normally you would need agreement from the freeholder but as thats you then I would think usual planning rules apply? I stand to be corrected though
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • Jonnysmith
    Options
    Edit: should read 'first floor apartment and ground floor garage*'
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The lease was originally between parties 1 (the original freeholder) and 2 (the original leaseholder)
    You bought the lease from party 2.
    You bought the freehold party 1.
    The lease was then between you (wearing freeholder hat) and you (wearing leaseholder hat).

HOWEVER...

You need to remember that there are two other leases which you are wearing your freeholder hat over. The two other garages...
  • Jonnysmith
    Options
    So basically I can do as a please as long as it doesn't have an effect on the leasehold garages (which it shouldn't)?
  • Miiade
    Miiade Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2019 at 11:31PM
    Options
    Have you checked with planning if you are allowed to convert the garage?.

I live in a coach house and wanted to do the same conversion, but was denied permission. There was a new build stipulation that the property must have 2 parking spaces. I was planning on leaving the garage door on and putting patio doors onto the back garden.

This was a few years ago so not sure if these regulations still apply, let us know if you get approval.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miiade wrote: »
    Have you checked with planning if you are allowed to convert the garage?.

I live in a coach house and wanted to do the same conversion, but was denied permission. There was a new build stipulation that the property must have 2 parking spaces. I was planning on leaving the garage door on and putting patio doors onto the back garden.

This was a few years ago so not sure if these regulations still apply, let us know if you get approval.
    I owned a coach house and used as a rental property and that was the same for me too.

The garage was just about wide enough to get a very small car in with a door leading into the small hallway at the bottom of the stairs , with parking space in front of it and 3 garages next door .
    Parking was difficult in the area so they were premium spots. Straight "no" from planning
  • Jonnysmith
    Options
    I've not checked yet but will do when the time comes. But yes I think I saw a post elsewhere on this forum saying that planning was denied due to the stipulation of having to have 2 parking spaces (possibly you if you have posted that on here) so i have wondered about that. I do have extra space next to my designated car parking space on the driveway though and we currently park two cars side by side on the space we have. Not sure if this will be technically classed as two parking spaces though or whether two actual spaces could be created. Don't know if they will have to be a minimum size? Definitely enough space for two cars but whether the powers above see it that way I don't know.
  • Jonnysmith
    Options
    Quick Google tells me a parking space should be minimum 2.4mts wide. The total space I have is 4.9mts wide. So definitely have some sort of argument that i do have 2 spaces or at least enough for 2 spaces if that issue arises.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jonnysmith wrote: »
    So basically I can do as a please as long as it doesn't have an effect on the leasehold garages (which it shouldn't)?
    Subject to planning, buildings regs and those leases.

Quick Google tells me a parking space should be minimum 2.4mts wide.
    That's a recommendation. It has no legal effect on commercial parking spaces, and certainly doesn't on private land.
  • Miiade
    Miiade Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick Google tells me a parking space should be minimum 2.4mts wide. The total space I have is 4.9mts wide. So definitely have some sort of argument that i do have 2 spaces or at least enough for 2 spaces if that issue arises.

I would say that definatley strengthens your case if they come back with the 2 car parking requirement. Keep us informed how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure