We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cordless lawn mowers?

Options

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have the Gtech cordless mower. It works fine, but be aware that we find it quite heavy and unwieldy. If you've got some muscles, you'll be ok, but if not I'd look at others and buy from where you can move them around before you purchase.

As for petrol. My nearest neighbour has one and I could strangle him by the time he's finished. It takes foreeeeever, makes a hell of a racket and stinks.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ok I was going to get a different model I found on Screwfix but happened to see a one day sale on Amazon on a Bosch, £400 down to £260 just for today. Arrives Tuesday.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    My current bosch rotak (corded) has been generally good,
    I went for the battery Bosch 40 and have been pleased with it after a corded one. I made sure to have two batteries as I have two bits of lawn. It isn't quite as forgiving of longer wet grass as the corded but as long as you are aware of that limitation it is fine.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Ok I was going to get a different model I found on Screwfix but happened to see a one day sale on Amazon on a Bosch, £400 down to £260 just for today. Arrives Tuesday.
    What model / link?
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Been looking at cordless myself as with vacuums everything is heading this way, Ideal World TV seems to have regular features on cordless mowers and they reduce the prices whilst the item is on air.
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2019 at 9:10PM
    Options
    Bought the Worx WG779E battery lawnmower last year from Amazon for £190 now £182. Great mower and no more cutting cables also much quicker as no faffing about with extension leads. Has two batteries that fit side by side and are used together so sufficient to cut two fairly large lawns as long as the grass isn't too long and you use the economy setting. Comes with twin charger so both batteries are charged together but you can charge individually if you wanted to, not sure why you'd want to though.

PS also bought a Shark cordless vacuum as I was fed up tripping over the flipping cable.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a Bosch Rotak 43, chosen because you can get a mulcher for it and it shares battery type and charger with my Bosch hedge trimmer. 2.6 AH battery not really adequate, now in the market for a 4 AH replacement.

Very happy with it. If I've one niggle it's having to grip the levers hard to keep it running, unlike the old dead mans handle lever you get with petrol or corded.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last year because of back problems I also bought a WORX as mentioned above. Argos do a mower + strimmer package for £200 so with the strimmer being about £50 by itsself its not a bad deal. The model is not quite the same as the £182 one from Amazon mentioned above. When the grass is long realistically it will only do about 50sq metres on a single charge of the twin 20w batteries but once this cut is done it will run for twice that amount. Its very light weight and this takes me less than 10 mins. I have two lawns that size so I have bought a second set of batteries on Ebay for about £60. I am impressed with the strimmer which is a tap down one and have yet had a line break.
    (I also have a WORX drill so can use the batteries in this as well)
  • SleepySara
    Options
    WORX is a great option indeed, I have a WORX lawn trencher and I really like it. How about EGO Power lm2000? I'm thinking about getting something like this because I have a big lawn now. But after reading it's manual online I started to think it might be an overkill for my needs, though I definitely need both a lawnmower and a trimmer.
    Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb about.
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do any of the battery mowers have powered wheels as I have a slope on my lawn which is quite hard to get up without the self drive feature?
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport