£1000 trading allowance

Options
I'm aware a sole trader can claim £1000 trading allowance per year but is it only for people who have no other income?
Me and my partner both work and pay tax through PAYE. If she were to set up a small craft business would she still get the £1000 tax allowance?

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whatever you read, you misread it

the criteria is do you have trading income, not is that your sole source of income

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income
  • rickyroma
    rickyroma Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    whatever you read, you misread it
    So with a full time job you do still get the £1000 allowance? Sorry I'm being a bit thick here :rotfl:
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This allowance is for your self employed income which you declare on the self assessment pages of your tax return. What you earn from employment and PAYE has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

This allowance is quite useful for those of us who have low amounts of self employed income. It means that you don't have to declare your expenses and if these are less than £1000 you gain by paying less tax.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rickyroma wrote: »
    So with a full time job you do still get the £1000 allowance? Sorry I'm being a bit thick here :rotfl:
    yes, as you were told in post #4 in your previous thread asking the same question
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    The £1,000 can also be viewed as an amount to cover the costs of running a small business, so rather than keeping proper records of expenses and going through the research/stress of trying to work out what's allowable, proportions of home costs, keeping mileage records, splitting phone/broadband bills, etc., "let's just call it £1,000 instead" which makes it easier for both HMRC and the taxpayer.

Most genuine small businesses and start ups will have at least £1,000 in allowable expenses, so if income was £1,000 or less, you deduct the £1,000 of expenses, so no profit. It makes more sense if you think in those terms.

Also remember, the £1,000 is against only the business income, you can't set it against other income such as employment wages, so if you've had sales of under £1,000, you can't fully use the £1,000 allowance anyway.

If you have more than £1,000 in expenses, you'd be best claiming the exact amount instead, and if sales are low, you may create a trading loss which CAN be set against employment income, so sometimes, claiming the £1,000 allowance may be counter-productive.
  • rickyroma
    rickyroma Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    yes, as you were told in post #4 in your previous thread asking the same question
    Appreciate any replies but no one actually answered my question I added to someone else's thread. That's why I asked on my own thread
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Options
    I'm aware a sole trader can claim £1000 trading allowance per year but is it only for people who have no other income?
    Me and my partner both work and pay tax through PAYE. If she were to set up a small craft business would she still get the £1000 tax allowance?

For everyone, employed or not. Yes she could choose the trading allowance but I would keep normal accounts (accruals or cash) anyway then work out which is most advantageous.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This applies essentially to any type of self-employed earnings. If people give you money for babysitting, or minding their shop on occasions, or looking after their dog once a year when they go away on holiday, or buying and selling on Ebay those are earnings and can be taxed, but if HMRC taxed everybody who got £20 for babysitting then they would be very busy. So they only tax people if they earn more than £1000 a year from these various types of activities. Note earnings from a business with a name is treated just the same as say just doing a some babysitting on occasions. It is the amount of earnings per year which is important.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Appreciate any replies but no one actually answered my question I added to someone else's thread. That's why I asked on my own thread
    your question was and is identical to that asked in the other thread and the answer was given in some detail in the next reply after your post, ie reply #4
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75690886&postcount=4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport