Garage conversion

Options
I have a detached garage, part of which is partitioned off and serves as an office for me.

I am thinking of converting the whole thing into an office and renting it out to a local charity. Does this mean my Council Tax bracket will change as part of the property is now used for commercial purposes? I assume I will need Planning Permission and Building Warrant? There is already underfloor heating etc. It would just need a different door and maybe better insulation.

Also my home insurers don't seem too happy about the idea as we already have an adverse claims history (for unrelated issues) and now might be part commercial use. The spoke about Council tax bands needing to change and seemed about to decline to insure us, Not sure why?

Any thoughts about any of this?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will need planning permission as it is a change of use.

The biggest issue is with your mortgage company. You have a residential mortgage but now wish to have part of it converted to commercial use. If you grant a lease to the charity for say 5 years, but in that time, you get repossessed, the implications for the mortgage company are significant and it is highly unlikely that they will grant permission. It is also likely that any future purchaser will struggle to get a mortgage as well so you have just shot yourself in both feet.

Respectfully, I don't think you have thought this through.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure