London Capital and Finance

Options

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bail-in wrote: »
    How is it that audited companies can suddenly collapse "without warning" as some do?

Because an auditor's job is to make sure the numbers in column A add up to the same as the numbers in column B.

If the numbers in column A have been falsified, and the numbers in column B have also been falsified, and the directors or other perpetrators have been clever enough to ensure they still add up to each other, the auditors will sign off the accounts will a clean bill of health. Then eventually the company will collapse when it runs out of money.

Good accountants will take umbrage at this point and say that their job involves much more scrutiny than that and they spend hours checking the figures and making sure that they reflect reality. It does not matter, as is evident from the collapse of numerous companies which had clean bills of health from the auditor (Patisserie McValerie being the most prominent recent example).

Most accountants are rubbish, just as most financial advisers are rubbish, most musicians are rubbish, and most people and things are rubbish, as per Sturgeon's Law. Dodgy companies have no need to hire the best accountants, there are plenty of bad ones who will check that column A adds up to column B and then knock off early to spend the afternoon in the pub with the directors.

The irony of auditing is that the only companies who would hire a really good auditor at the top of their profession are those in least need of their services. Only very scrupulous and ethical directors would hire a top-class auditor known for asking tricky questions and pulling at threads until they get to the bottom. And it would be highly unlikely that a business run by such directors had anything wrong with it.

(This irony exists in most professions - people who are most in need of financial advice don't hire the best IFAs (too broke), people who are most in need of fitness training don't hire the best personal trainers (too lazy), etc etc. Value operates in the opposite way to magnetism - good attracts good and bad attracts bad.)

Note that I was addressing bail-in's question in general terms. This has nothing to do with London Capital & Finance, which as at the last accounting date was audited by the highly skilled folks at Ernst & Young (known for their good work with Equitable Life, Lehman Brothers, etc etc). I say "as at the last accounting date" because they've changed their auditor every single year since 2015 (when an obscure company called Sales Aid Finance (England) Ltd changed its name and became the London Capital & Finance that we know and love today). Regular rotation of auditors is a perfectly sound practice which helps ensure the auditors don't get too cosy with the directors, and many commentators have said that this should actually happen more often.
  • bail-in
    bail-in Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 February 2019 at 1:57PM
    Options
    As far as I remember, the name of the reviewer was {Text removed by MSE Forum Team}. I do not recall a second name which does not mean there was no second name. I remember taking a screenshot but a gremlin got hold of that! Regarding the loan from LCAF in Financial Accounts Year 2014-15, I recall it was to One Monday Ltd, sole shareholder {Text removed by MSE Forum Team} for £200,000, interest paid £20,000 to LC&F. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, as far as I know. My point was how does it relate to the mini-bond investment offer.I do not know what the £200,000 loan was used for. As far as I remember One Monday did not lodge any accounts at Companies House. Although I must have got those figures from somewhere re Companies House Accounts. It was a while back.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,624 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2018 at 1:45PM
    Options
    While looking at their website this is the disclaimer. Not sure I've seen it very prominent elsewhere on their adverts:
    Our products are aimed at retail clients who are UK taxpayers and who fall in the category of either High Net Worth Individual, Sophisticated, Self Certified Sophisticated or Restricted Investor

From comments and reviews given I can pretty much guarantee that most of their bond holders do not fall into that category.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our products are aimed at retail clients who are UK taxpayers and who fall in the category of either High Net Worth Individual, Sophisticated, Self Certified Sophisticated or Restricted Investor

I'm not sure you can be retail AND one of the others.

The normal classifications under MiFID are Retail, Professional and Eligible Counterparty.

Retail is your normal consumer.
    Professional will cover Sophisticated and self-certified sophisticated.

So, I don't believe that MiFID allows you to class someone as both Retail and Professional. You are either one or the other.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Angel_Investor
    Options
    if it is not covered by FSA then it is a scam or at best case your money cannot be recovered. many scam artists out there nowadays
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 February 2019 at 1:58PM
    Options
    bail-in wrote: »
    Regarding the loan from LCAF in Financial Accounts Year 2014-15, I recall it was to One Monday Ltd, sole shareholder {Text removed by MSE Forum Team} for £200,000, interest paid £20,000 to LC&F.
    I see from their accounts on 31 July 2015 the loan was taken over by International Resorts Group Plc, even though they were a dormant company at the time and remained so afterwards.
    They renamed themselves Global Advance Distributions Ltd
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08820833
    However I can see no mention of the loan on their balance sheet.

A great deal of changing of the accounting period took place (12 times on current and previous periods over just 9 months!). There have been 2 attempted liquidations - one compulsory and recently voluntarily.

All this does rather make you wonder why LCF were willing to loan the money to a company with no apparent income and whether their claim that "None of our borrowers have defaulted on their loans" is accurate. Let's hope they did get it back because the charge they have on the company seems of dubious value given they seem to have £2 of assets according to the final balance sheet.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    While looking at their website this is the disclaimer. Not sure I've seen it very prominent elsewhere on their adverts:

From comments and reviews given I can pretty much guarantee that most of their bond holders do not fall into that category.
    They'd probably still attract a similar level of interest if their disclaimer read:
    Our products are aimed at gullible clients who are UK taxpayers and who fall in the category of either Greedy, Stupid, Naive or Can't Be Bothered Reading Small Print (or all of the above)
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    I'm not sure you can be retail AND one of the others.

You definitely can as there is some overlap between the retail/professional/eligible counterparty definitions, and high-net-worth/sophisticated/restricted, which all have specific definitions.

Someone who'd just been left £500,000 in cash by their rich aunt and had no previous experience of investments would qualify as high-net-worth according to the FCA definition, but would certainly not be a professional client. Any professional footballer at Championship level or above would also be high-net-worth (thanks to their income) but not professional.

It is perfectly possible to be a sophisticated retail investor. To be a professional client you either have to be a per se professional client - which applies largely to institutions and not individuals - or an elective professional client. To be a sophisticated retail investor you just have to elect to be treated as sophisticated but not elect to be treated as professional.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Note that I was addressing bail-in's question in general terms. This has nothing to do with London Capital & Finance, which as at the last accounting date was audited by the highly skilled folks at Ernst & Young (known for their good work with Equitable Life, Lehman Brothers

Great post and raised a smile on such a dry and occasionally stunning thread - certain posters seem to think if they keep typing expositions that will lend their position some gravitas.

Amazed you could type the above with your tongue so firmly becheeked.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,624 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2018 at 5:30PM
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    Let's hope they did get it back because the charge they have on the company seems of dubious value given they seem to have £2 of assets according to the final balance sheet.

According to the balance sheet the only £2 is the 2 x £1 ordinary shares that were issued. It also contains the statement: "as part of a capital reduction the share capital was reduced to £2 and all assets and liabilities written off".

It does make you wonder why they'd be given a loan of £200k and if the loan of £200k was something that has been written off?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback