When to fill up with petrol?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just had 560 miles out of a full (50 litre) tank of diesel and only now has the warning light come on, so still at least another 30 or so miles left.

:money:
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    That is how airliners work now. They have just enough to make it as the fuel light comes on (Why cart around an extra couple of tons of fuel when you probably won't need it). If there is an unexpected headwind, or they get stuck in a diversion they run out and crash. (Happened a couple of times on "Shock! Horror! Air Crash!" or whatever it is called. :eek:.
    Nearly, 30 mins holding then !!!!!! off to somewhere with no fuel left having declared on the way! Lugging tons of excess fuel around the world was about 6% an hour if I remember correctly?
    It was very frowned upon even if the destination was forecast to be crap. However if there was a fuelling problem downroute, no worries just take loads coz it'll be cheaper.
    Once flew halfway around the world in an empty 777-300 just to bring it back, two of us wasting many tons but that was okay. I don't worry now so much about my 'footprint'.
    I fancy an RS6 but faff over the mpg! Why bother?
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just had 560 miles out of a full (50 litre) tank of diesel and only now has the warning light come on, so still at least another 30 or so miles left.

:money:

Its one of the few things i miss about my Passat TDI - the huge range between fills.

Fortunately i dont have to drive a diesel now though.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Its one of the few things i miss about my Passat TDI - the huge range between fills.

Fortunately i dont have to drive a diesel now though.

If the 560miles is after a run, that isn't particularly impressive, my 2 litre petrol turbo will return near that for long runs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    If the 560miles is after a run, that isn't particularly impressive, my 2 litre petrol turbo will return near that for long runs.

No that's since last fill up but 400 of those miles (2 x 200 mile trips) were motorway + some mileage around Dublin a couple of weeks ago too. (took car on the ferry).
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    st999 wrote: »
    Where would be the cheapest petrol on the A1 or A19 or A187 between Edinburgh and North Shields ferry terminal?

You're unlikely to be buying enough fuel for it to make much difference. Just use the first non-service station one you pass after dropping under a quarter tank.
    You'll probably waste more money than you save hunting for the cheapest.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Options
    If you are passing a supermarket with a petrol station then go in and fill up; it's better than making a special trip or having to detour to go and look for one.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    If a car has a range of over 300 miles why on earth would you fill up after 200?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If a car has a range of over 300 miles why on earth would you fill up after 200?
    It is called planning. I do it on one of my regular long journeys. I can fill up half a tank on cheap petrol giving me enough to get to my next known cheap fill. You then have 300 miles till you need to fill up again instead of just 100. I also make sure I have well over half a tank before I hit the Scottish highlands on my way home, especially in winter !
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »

It would be around 50ish MPG by my calcs.

My 2.0i Turbo Cooper S averages around 34 MPG with reasonably enthusiastic driving where possible. It would do high 30s maybe 40mpg if i was doing long runs and taking it easy. Small tank doesnt help it though. I only do around 7,000 miles a year in it anyway.

Our A45 averages around 27mpg. It would maybe break 30mpg if it was getting long runs. It gets around 10,000 miles a year.

The last diesel i had that i had to do big miles in was a Golf 1.6TDI and it was averaging around 62-65mpg as it was doing long, steady runs. Was doing around 28,000 a year then.

Diesels IMHO are too much risk these days with DPF, turbo and EGR valve issues being quite prevalent, so unless i was doing mega miles again i wouldnt go back - and even then i'd probably consider a hybrid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure