• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I always keep a full tank in case I need to make a quick get away :D
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always keep a full tank in case I need to make a quick get away :D
    but the extra weight of all that fuel will reduce your acceleration and thus slow down your "quick" get away

better to have only enough fuel
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just a comment about topping your fuel tank up on certain diesel engined cars such as Citroen/Peugeot rather than waiting until its close to empty. Every time you open the tank filler cap a measured amount of additive is injected in to the fuel tank, this is the same amount no matter how much diesel you add. You will find that the additive (which assists in the Diesel particulate filter regeneration) will require filling too frequently which is quite costly. I realise that the OP states petrol station but most people use this term even if they require Diesel fuel.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »

That is how airliners work now. They have just enough to make it as the fuel light comes on (Why cart around an extra couple of tons of fuel when you probably won't need it). If there is an unexpected headwind, or they get stuck in a diversion they run out and crash. (Happened a couple of times on "Shock! Horror! Air Crash!" or whatever it is called. :eek:

I'd fill it up around 20 or so miles from the destination, that way if it gets warmer, the fuel won't expand and possibly overwhelm the expansion provision when parked.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    Avoid service station petrol stations.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where would be the cheapest petrol on the A1 or A19 or A187 between Edinburgh and North Shields ferry terminal?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try petrolprices.com but you're probably looking at a supermarket just off the A1/A19.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    When fuel prices are rising, you should keep your tank full, thereby using fuel bought at a lower price rather than using fuel bought on the current day. When prices are falling,delay as long as practical so that fuel you buy now is cheaper than any residual in the tank. - and just buy sufficient for short term use.
    Currently, prices are rising because of the falling value of the pound against the US dollar which is how oil is internationally priced. The Middle East problems surrounding Iran and Syria also add to upward pressure, so the current recommendation to the OP would be to set off with a full tank and refill when you arrive.
    The difficulty in this operation is to spot the point when the price movement reverses.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    but the extra weight of all that fuel will reduce your acceleration and thus slow down your "quick" get away

facade wrote: »
    That is how airliners work now. They have just enough to make it as the fuel light comes on (Why cart around an extra couple of tons of fuel when you probably won't need it). If there is an unexpected headwind, or they get stuck in a diversion they run out and crash. (Happened a couple of times on "Shock! Horror! Air Crash!" or whatever it is called. :eek:

I'd fill it up around 20 or so miles from the destination, that way if it gets warmer, the fuel won't expand and possibly overwhelm the expansion provision when parked.

I think the extra weight on a 50 litre tank is negligible compared to an airliner with 1000s of tonnes on board. :)

Also if I'm making a quick getaway, I haven't time to stop off for fuel. ;)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Options
    I think the extra weight on a 50 litre tank is negligible compared to an airliner with 1000s of tonnes on board. :)

Also if I'm making a quick getaway, I haven't time to stop off for fuel. ;)

It does make a tiny tiny difference, competition cyclists and motorcyclists spend a fortune on exotic materials to save a few grammes, but you'd think that going on a diet would be a lot cheaper and make more difference (It would for me, I could do with losing 10kg at least :D)

I'm with you on the "Keep it full, there may be a Tanker Drivers strike, or Civil Emergency by then" btw ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure