How much have you made since investing in VLS/FTSE Global All Cap?

Options
Cant find a specific thread on this - would be useful to know!

1) How many years have you invested for and how much have you invested
2) How much do you now have in the ISA/SIPP?

Comments

• Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You should be able to work this out for yourself from the performance graphs.

Are you just looking for opinion about how good or bad the fund is?
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    redlfc wrote: »
    Cant find a specific thread on this - would be useful to know!

1) How many years have you invested for and how much have you invested
    2) How much do you now have in the ISA/SIPP?

Why would it be useful to know ? As said, it would be easy to work out from historical prices what any particular investment would now be worth. But so what? That wouldn't be any use to person D to know that person A made £59k person B made 10k and person C lost £30k. It's just a function of when and how much they invested.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you'd invested £1000 in a FTSE World tracker in January 1995 it would now be worth over £6000.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    If you'd invested £1000 in a FTSE World tracker in January 1995 it would now be worth over £6000.

What about March 2003?. :D
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    What about March 2003?. :D

£5000! :D

[with dividends reinvested, of course]

save, invest, accumulate, compound :D
  • redlfc
    redlfc Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Why would it be useful to know ? As said, it would be easy to work out from historical prices what any particular investment would now be worth. But so what? That wouldn't be any use to person D to know that person A made £59k person B made 10k and person C lost £30k. It's just a function of when and how much they invested.

i know past performance has no indication on future - i am investing in the fund and will so for the next 30 years + regardless - i just out of interest want to know how people who invested in VLS for the past 7/8 years have done

not just that fund tbh more so investing in S+S in general over past 20 years - obviously complete differences depending on what was invested in
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i know past performance has no indication on future - i am investing in the fund and will so for the next 30 years + regardless - i just out of interest want to know how people who invested in VLS for the past 7/8 years have done

There are different versions of VLS. Just go to Vanguard's website, Trustnet, Morningstar, Hargreaves Lansdown (or any other broker website) and check the performance.
    not just that fund tbh more so investing in S+S in general over past 20 years - obviously complete differences depending on what was invested in

Take the worst case scenario of people who lost everything they invested, compare to those who have invested in the best performing assets over the past 20 years and just about every reply you'd get will be somewhere in between. It's a pointless question, especially as most people are probably still invested so haven't "made" anything.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i know past performance has no indication on future - i am investing in the fund and will so for the next 30 years + regardless

Why regardless. Won't you be tempted to switch tack once the fad changes to something else. Once something is identified as being a good idea then everybody jumps on board. Which over time negates the return. Investing is like the wind. Changes direction at a moments notice.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I once read interesting research into platform fund trades that suggested that DIY investors often do around 1/3 worse than their fund average long term returns not just because of platform costs but because they tend to buy and sell at the wrong times.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport