How important is work location to you?

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Now we're moving out to Zone 2, so not even Central London, and I'm thinking now it's time for me to leave. Whenever I'm sent a job spec the first thing I check after salary is location and if it's not Central London I'm not interested, even central locations that are a bit awkward to get to I reject.

Surely what you're doing for the 8 hours you're being paid to work and the workplace culture are more relevant than where the nearest pub/shop/takeaway is?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Toastie2018
    Toastie2018 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Interesting question. A few months ago I would have thought location would only be important in regards to commuting. However, having been in a job in a city centre for a few months, I think there is a lot to be said for central locations. I can do so much more in my break times, e.g. getting gifts, going to the bank, shopping etc. It is a total change to being in the office and I find it really refreshing. I think it is a lovely addition, but I don't think it would be the main deciding factor when I'm job searching.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Location doesn't come in to it for me. Travelling time most dedicatedly does.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 4:45PM
    Options
    My last and longest job was working in and near a very famous building.. That was brilliant. While my actual office was not in the place the sense of awe and history when you walked in was amazing. I am seriously happy that is where I spent most of my working life.

And the people were great, too.

And there were loads of pubs nearby which was good for a guy who, for the last 6-7 years there, was on his own after a separation. Made a few friends over an after work drink.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    As long as i can get there, im fine.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Now we're moving out to Zone 2, so not even Central London, and I'm thinking now it's time for me to leave

Just to be clear, you're happy in the job as a whole and are thinking of leaving because they're moving from zone 1 to zone 2, which may be just a few stops on the tube...?

The thought occurs that perhaps they need to save costs and rather than declare redundancies, they're moving to cheaper premises.

This has to be a wind-up, surely?
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd love to be in a more central location for work. My work is in the middle of a private 600 acre estate; the nearest shop is a 10 min drive down a country road to a local convenience that you can't park outside or 10 min in the other direction to a petrol station (thankfully with a "M&S simply food" attached to it!) ... It means that during the week I am extremely limited for shopping or food options ...

Pros - We have a good staff kitchen so I tend to bring or cook a little lunch, which has been good for my health ... 600 acres including woodland trails make for a lovely lunch break in the summer ... lovely people and I enjoy the work itself.

But I'd give a lot for access to "things" during the week! It's a 40 min commute each way so I can always stop off at an ASDA but town centres have become a thing of fable to me.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    I get half an hour for a break so not enough time to do much so not particularly bothered if pubs aren't nearby, would be nice to have an option of an alternative for lunch eg a sandwich shop.

I prefer a shorter commute to work more important, the option of walking (a short walk) to work would be important too.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,327 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think of location on a bigger scale. If I moved jobs it would probably be to a different city, and which is important to me.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Options
    Zone 2 is fine, I've worked all around London as I freelance, so change jobs a few times a year. Location isn't a huge factor, in fact the more restaurants and shops nearby the office the more money I tend to spend, so that's not always a good thing! A supermarket nearby is quite important to me and having a park is good but not vital.

I wouldn't put off working in a place just because it's a slightly longer commute. I've worked somewhere where it was just as quick to get the bus than the tube - a 50 minute journey. Sometimes the bus is nicer than the tube to be honest!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure