IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Small Claims date received

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paragraph 4. ( the first one, you have two paras 3 and 4).
    I would suggest the words 'colourful' and 'impersonating' are inappropriate.
  • madmidwife
    Options
    Do I also need to put together my skeleton argument and send copies of everything to the court and Gladstones? And if so how close to the deadline? Court date is 23rd March?
    Thanks everyone so far for your help :T
    Total debt: £27,000
    3 credit cards, 2 loans, 2 large overdrafts,1 catalogue,:embarasse
  • logician
    Options
    madmidwife wrote: »
    Court date is 23rd March?

What does your court order state about filing evidence?
    and Witness Statements etc.

The dates will be on there.

Some courts are now getting twitchy if Skeletons are not served in good time to both parties, so best to err on the side of caution.

You mention Bristol, this wouldn't happen to be at Lakeshore would it??
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    madmidwife wrote: »
    Do I also need to put together my skeleton argument and send copies of everything to the court and Gladstones? And if so how close to the deadline? Court date is 23rd March?

Beware offers to help by private message. DO NOT reply if you get such contact.

Be aware that parking firms/BPA members post and look at this forum and that a pm may not be from a person whose agenda is the same as mine, for example.

Please keep this all on this forum, and show us your planned Witness Statement, well before the date the Court letter says your WS and evidence must be exchanged.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • madmidwife
    Options
    Hello again,
    Work and home life have distracted me for a while but I am back for more help please.
    I need help with my skeleton argument (this is for a residential space) I know Coupon-Mad has posted one on this site somewhere but I'm struggling to find it??
    I am going to use as evidence: Tenancy agreement, Transcripts of Jopson v Homeguard, Link V Ms P, Pace V Mr N, and Saeed V Plustrade. Also going to include Transcript of House of commons debate on the Parking Bill (all of it or salient points??). Photo of parking sign and my witness statement. Do I need anything else??

Here is my witness statement: (As you can tell 'stolen' and amended from this forum :rotfl:)
    Witness Statement
    In the matter of

Link Parking (Claimant)
    v
    Mrs xxxxxx (defendant)

Claim no:

Witness statement of Mrs xxxxxx, defendant

I am the Defendant in this matter, I am unrepresented, with no experience of Court procedures. If I do not set out documents in the way that the Claimant may do, I trust the Court will excuse my inexperience.
    In this Witness statement, the facts and matters stated are true and within my own knowledge, except where indicated otherwise.

1. I am not the Registered Keeper of the vehicles concerned, there is no evidence from Link Parking of the driver and as this event involved two vehicles, it is impossible to say who might have been driving each vehicle.

2. The Defendant neither admits or denies being the driver at the time of the supposed event, and therefore puts Link Parking to strict proof that any contract can exist between the Claimant and themselves.

3. As neither vehicle stated in the claim are owned by the Defendant, I have no obligation to name the driver to a private parking firm. It remains the burden of the Claimant to prove their case.

4. No adverse inference can be drawn from my lawful decision to ignore the yellow Parking Charge Notice, impersonating a parking ticket yet with no basis in law.

5. Link Parking have offered no evidence of either vehicle being illegally parked at xxxxxx despite them claiming photographs are available to view on their website. I have been unable to find any photographs as these can only be viewed prior to an internet payment being made, as shown on the parking charge notice

6. The agreement for parking at the property lies with the landlord and not Link Parking as stated in the tenancy agreement

7. I will rely upon the judgments on appeal of HHJ Harris QC in Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd (2016) and of Sir Christopher Slade in K-Sultana Saeed v Plustrade Ltd [2001] EWCA Civ 2011.Also in Pace v Mr N [2016] C6GF14F0 [2016] it was found that the parking company could not override the tenant's right to park by requiring a permit to park furthermore In Link Parking v Ms P C7GF50J7 [2016] it was also found that the parking company could not override the tenant's right to park by requiring a permit to park.

8. The Claimant’s solicitors are known to be a serial issuer of generic claims similar to this one, with no due diligence, no scrutiny of details nor even checking for a true cause of action.

9. A publically televised debate held in the House of Commons (Parking Code of Practice Bill– in the House of Commons at 12:43 pm on 2nd February 2018.) discussed the unreasonable circumstances of repeated issuing of fines to individuals parking in their own parking space outside their property with the Claimant’s solicitors Gladstones being involved in many such cases.

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.
  • madmidwife
    Options
    Followed this link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5591251&page=5
    But cant find the skeleton?? am i just being stupid?
    Also as I am not the registered keeper of either car (one is lease hire other one was from a hire company for the day) and as far as I'm aware they didn't name me as driver, how can I use this to my advantage?
    Was hoping that Gladstones wouldnt pay the fees and the case would be struck out but no such luck :(
  • madmidwife
    Options
    Also should I get a witness statement from an 'independent' person (my daughters flatmate) who was there at the time of the alleged parking breach??
  • madmidwife
    Options
    Worried now, received an email from Gladstones with their 'witness statement' which in fact was photos of the vehicles involved, some 'contract' with the managing agents and various correspondence from them and me sent over the last few months :(

Going to need some help and a strong argument :(:(
  • nosferatu1001
    Options
    Your defence should already have included lack of keeper (not registered keeper, keeper) liability - you can!!!8217;t add it now.

Your witness statement is what needs to be in - skeleton can wait 7ntil a couple days befire. It!!!8217;s a bullet list

As for the gs ws - I bet if you READ it it!!!8217;s complete template baloney, yes? If in doubt post pics of it.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 February 2018 at 1:51AM
    Options
    Also as I am not the registered keeper of either car (one is lease hire other one was from a hire company for the day) and as far as I'm aware they didn't name me as driver, how can I use this to my advantage?

Have you filed that WS and your evidence yet? Did you include Schedule 4 as evidence?

If the WS you drafted has already been filed by you (with your file of evidence of course) now prepare a skeleton argument (SA).

This is not *required* (unlike the WS and evidence, which is necessary) but can be useful to summarise your legal points of defence (bullet points of the legal stuff about liability, and case law). You would then file it to the Court and Gladstones, with a printed copy of the POFA Sch4 with para 13/14 highlighted, about ''hirer liability'' and any other case law/legal evidence/copy of Henry Greenslade's words from the POPLA Annual Report 2015, etc.

Point out in your SA, the omission of the statutory requirement for certain documents that MUST accompany a Notice to Hirer, when posted to you (which the PPC will not have done). The omission means you cannot be held liable unless they can convince the Judge, on the balance of probabilities, that you were the driver.

Now if this car is only used by you, they might be able to convince the Court; depends on the Judge and your evidence as well. But you do not have to assist the claimant to fill in gaps in their evidence, do not have to name the driver. If you can show evidence that the car is/was allowed to be used by more than one person, then that will help tip the balance away from any presumption of driver.

If you have not sent that WS yet, tell us what evidence you intend to submit with it?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure