HSBC Commercial Card -Rant

Options
2»

Comments

• John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Not sure why the Op has made an error he has made a payment reducing the balance of the card and therefore the bank should not take the direct debit 2 Days later

there is no mention in the terms of conditions that there is a 2 day cut off or any day cut off - the payment was made the direct debit should not have been taken it's a simple as that.

That is not how direct debits work.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure why the Op has made an error he has made a payment reducing the balance of the card and therefore the bank should not take the direct debit 2 Days later

there is no mention in the terms of conditions that there is a 2 day cut off or any day cut off - the payment was made the direct debit should not have been taken it's a simple as that.

I would suggest you read them again then.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

The trouble with direct debits working like that is they are not same day payments. The bank requesting the direct debit usually puts the request into the customers account 3 days before the actual due date. That payment is then locked in and the bank sending the money has no idea whether the balance is reduced in the meantime.

Some banks will not amend the direct debit once the statement is produced, regardless of when any manual payment is made. Other banks take into account manual payment and adjust direct debits, but none will do so after 3 days before because they run on 3 day payment cycles.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    now that is just crazy - 3 days? what do they do - put a quill-penned list on the back of a camel and send it over?

the customer does not need to know the way dd processing works - if I pay 600 to the card then i no longer owe that money so it shouldnt be debited
  • rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to follow up on this (btw thanks for all the responses). I have just checked my business account and lo and behold the money was credited back on Friday 25th.

So the protestations about waiting for 7 working days after the DD and then taking 3 working days to credit appears to be somewhat more flexible than first stated.

So, all is well and thanks to HSBC for doing the right thing.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    the customer does not need to know the way dd processing works - if I pay 600 to the card then i no longer owe that money so it shouldnt be debited

That's pretty much akin to buying a carrot on Tesco.com, then going to Tesco and buying a carrot in the store, and then complaining when your online carrot turns up the next day because Tesco should have known that you already bought a carrot...

If you understood that DDs submitted payments files 3 days before the money is taken, the second part of your sentence doesn't make sense.

Glad you got your funds back OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport