Item signed delivered, buyer saying not received

Options
124»

Comments

• biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 12:30AM
    Options
    It is normal delivery practice to leave packages with neighbours, or (if signature not paid for) in a safe place. Delivery to a neighbour is not breach of contract.

What should happen if you are not in? RM can send it back to the depot, but courier companies don't have collection offices. The courier has their pay set for a successful delivery about once every 2 minutes. They have to make 3 delivery attempts, but is only the successful attempts that are paid.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nesty wrote: »
    Ebay clearly advocate. Good sellers don't blame the delivery service. In this sentence they washing their hands of any involvement whilst pushing it all on to your responsibility.
    In fact, ebay have a little responsibility, as possible, but at same time trying to inflate their fees higher & higher. Well that's the way I see it!
    ???

Are you saying you think eBay advocate delivery to any old address? Or that eBay don't want to take any responsibility for the failure of a delivery service?

Good sellers do what you did - try and find out what went wrong and press the delivery service to complete the delivery to the buyer . It seems that some posters here are taking the attitude of "I've got a tracking number so I'm protected and anything else is the buyer's problem to sort out."

When I used to dabble in buying and selling (comics, books and geeky stuff) my listings always had a phrase like "If the item goes missing in the post, I will follow RM's rules to claim and refund you." Maybe I was lucky but I never ended up out of pocket in either direction.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    biscit wrote: »
    It is normal delivery practice to leave packages with neighbours, or (if signature not paid for) in a safe place.
    Is it normal practice to actually inform the intended recipient of this? Not always from some accounts....
    Delivery to a neighbour is not breach of contract.
    The sender's contract with the courier maybe - the seller's contract with the buyer is a different thing
    What should happen if you are not in? RM can send it back to the depot, but courier companies don't have collection offices. The courier has their pay set for a successful delivery about once every 2 minutes. They have to make 3 delivery attempts, but is only the successful attempts that are paid.
    Yeah - that's the harsh reality for the self-employed courier/driver. Some will make the 3 attempts, some won't. Some will try and find a neighbour and leave a card, some won't. Which is why some buyers specifically look for a seller advertising RM delivery - or avoid the courier firms they distrust.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    ???

Are you saying you think eBay advocate delivery to any old address? Or that eBay don't want to take any responsibility for the failure of a delivery service?

Ebay ask for a proof of delivery. They don't elaborate on that but I know when I've escalated a case as a seller, they check the online POD to see if the 'delivery office' is one that is close to the buyer's address.

As a seller you should protect your account first, help the buyer second.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my listings I do state I can use another delivery service to business requirements. Though if people don't ask or raise the point they actually want RM, then I assume I have that discretion as the seller.
    Though when I said to the buyer. If he was out. What would RM do, probably leave it next door. So in this instance it wasn't, so much the delivery method, but merely where it was left!

This buyer has bought more since. I now put on the front using RM, addressee only, if no answer then card. If someone has a issue with neighbours, then I would of thought it's up to the buyer to informer the seller of any postal adjustments.

Anyway it's all sorted now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport