Item signed delivered, buyer saying not received

Options

Comments

• F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    OP, it's possible the buyer is not telling the truth of course. I once had a buyer demand a refund as he claimed his always out neighbour had his parcel that I sent by Special Delivery, when the RM won't leave this delivery type with a neighbour.

When neighbours don't get on they generally refuse to accept parcels for them. They'd also make couriers aware of it as many drivers are on the same route every day. Has he asked for a replacement or refund yet, as the former generally makes me believe them?

I've had buyers write somewhere in their address "do not leave with neighbours" so if he's genuine I'm surprised he didn't leave a note to this effect.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    F&L wrote: »
    OP, it's possible the buyer is not telling the truth of course. I once had a buyer demand a refund as he claimed his always out neighbour had his parcel that I sent by Special Delivery, when the RM won't leave this delivery type with a neighbour.

When neighbours don't get on they generally refuse to accept parcels for them. They'd also make couriers aware of it as many drivers are on the same route every day. Has he asked for a replacement or refund yet, as the former generally makes me believe them?

I've had buyers write somewhere in their address "do not leave with neighbours" so if he's genuine I'm surprised he didn't leave a note to this effect.

As above is what everyone seems to be missing. Really though its up to the buyer to make a seller aware of any special delivery instructions. Its irrelevant that the wrong postage method was used, it has been delivered. In 2018 you accept if you buy something off the internet, it may well not be delivered directly to your hands.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all thanks for the replies.
    All sorted buyer has the item & pleased.
    It was in the next premises as stated. However the main break down in communication is that Hermes didn't leave a card for the buyer.
    So buyer didn't know where it was & the shop was waiting for them to collect!
    How many times I hear this that Hermes, RM & Amazon often don't leave cards so no one knows where everyone stands!
  • Nesty
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    As above is what everyone seems to be missing. Really though its up to the buyer to make a seller aware of any special delivery instructions. Its irrelevant that the wrong postage method was used, it has been delivered. In 2018 you accept if you buy something off the internet, it may well not be delivered directly to your hands.

I do put in my listings about any postage adjustments. Some do want their items sent to their workplace. (Yes, I know posting to other, than confirmed paypal address,). We will leave that one for another time!
    Anyway all sorted now!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Royal Mail Deliver to Neighbour scheme can be opted out of, you fill in a short webform and they send a sticker to go on the letter box.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nesty wrote: »
    I do put in my listings about any postage adjustments. Some do want their items sent to their workplace. (Yes, I know posting to other, than confirmed paypal address,). We will leave that one for another time!
    Anyway all sorted now!
    There's no issue about posting to the workplace provided that is the address a buyer enters during checkout. Put a reminder on the 'additional checkout instructions' (under the 'payment options' section while you are doing the listing) to remind people you can only send to the address they enter as they checkout.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I don't expect it delivered to my hands but to my address - that's not special that's normal. Do I also have to specify "Leave it at Number 1 except on Wednesday mornings 'cause that's her yoga class - in which case try Number 7 but don't try Number 2 across the road 'cause they are thieving gits and by the way - REMEMBER TO LEAVE YOUR CARD"?

If it has been delivered elsewhere (even with the best intentions) and tracked elsewhere - then I don't accept that as delivered for seller protection purposes. If it has been tracked to my address but delivered elsewhere - that's fraudulent reporting by the courier. Given the number of horror stories about Hermes and Yodel etc - and the fact that the service can vary greatly between individual couriers - there are buyers who would choose a seller because they specified Royal Mail and therefore are justified to object if the seller chose otherwise and an item went astray.

Anyway - well done Nesty for doing the decent thing and sorting it with the courier and not just assuming the buyer is a scammer and hiding behind the almighty tracking number.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    If it has been delivered elsewhere (even with the best intentions) and tracked elsewhere - then I don't accept that as delivered for seller protection purposes.
    This conversation is forgetting one important thing - this is eBay seller protection we are talking about. It's different if you are a company and the same situation occurred, in which case you would have to decide how to deal with the complaint rather than face trading standards or being taken to court. Because it's eBay you are covered by seller protection (as thin as this protection is, it's for this very purpose); you got your tracking / proof of delivery - eBay will cover you and will probably pay out of their own coffers for it, it's why we pay these huge fees.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Because it's eBay you are covered by seller protection (as thin as this protection is, it's for this very purpose); you got your tracking / proof of delivery
    Proof of delivery to a different address counts?
    - eBay will cover you and will probably pay out of their own coffers for it, it's why we pay these huge fees.
    I hope so - because neither seller nor buyer should be out of pocket through the actions of a courier or an unconnected person who was given an item by a courier. So it's effectively extra insurance that the seller pays for (and adds into their pricing model) to protect against fake INRs.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Nesty
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Proof of delivery to a different address counts? I hope so - because neither seller nor buyer should be out of pocket through the actions of a courier or an unconnected person who was given an item by a courier. So it's effectively extra insurance that the seller pays for (and adds into their pricing model) to protect against fake INRs.

Ebay clearly advocate. Good sellers don't blame the delivery service. In this sentence they washing their hands of any involvement whilst pushing it all on to your responsibility.
    In fact, ebay have a little responsibility, as possible, but at same time trying to inflate their fees higher & higher. Well that's the way I see it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure