Combi v conventional boiler

Options
Looking for advice please on whether to change to a Combi or buy a new conventional boiler. House was built in the late 1980’s and has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 9 radiators 2 heated towel rails. We’re a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) - no plans to extend house or family!

We currently have a Potterton boiler (kitchen utility) with hot water cylinder (landing airing cupboard) and water tanks in loft. It’s all 30+ years old. It’s recently become temperamental so felt time to renew. We were in the process of getting quotes when there was a leak in the airing cupboard. It’s been diagnosed that the pump has cracks in it, so turned off heating and using immersion for hot water.

We’ve been told we can get a new pump (£200+ for pump and fitting) but won’t need it if changing to Combi boiler.

Had a couple of quotes from established central heating company’s and they came out fairly similar;

Conventional boiler incl new hot water cylinder, pump, chemical clean & flush, system inhibitor, hive/nest - circa £4000

Combi boiler incl chemical clean & flush, system inhibitor, hive/nest - circa £4200

We did have a quote for a Combi still doing all the same work by a gas engineer but not via a registered company for £1.5k less but assume not the same warranties/insurance etc so not sure wise or not?

So firstly Combi or Conventional? Secondly is £4k reasonable (East Of England region)?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We had a conventional system in our old house (also a Potterton) and have got a combi in our new house.

We have found that the combi is far more suited to us as we are not heating a huge tank of water twice a day that is not needed. This summer the combi has saved us a fortune on gas already.
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I prefer a conventional. As you have discovered, if there are any problems you can use the immersion heater to get hot water. With a combi it'll be cold water only until it is fixed.
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We had similar decision to make but 7 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and went combi.

One of the showers has an electric shower so if boiler goes we still have hot water for a shower.

We went for a top end vailent and it came with a 7 year warranty and is handling it all really well.

Our bills for gas our definitely a lot lower as the hot water tank struggled with so many people so used to run the hot water for hours at a time and now its on demand and used a lot less.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    What is a gas engineer but not a registered company ?
    He has to be gas safe registered
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mksysb wrote: »
    I prefer a conventional. As you have discovered, if there are any problems you can use the immersion heater to get hot water. With a combi it'll be cold water only until it is fixed.

I agree. Having just been without heating for over two weeks (due to boiler breakdown) it was made much more manageable by still being able to have hot water.
    Unfortunately, my immersion blew 2 days before my boiler was repaired and those last two days were exponentially more miserable than the preceding 2 weeks.

I would never voluntarily have a combi boiler for this reason alone.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business