Question about council house after my mum passed away

Options
My mum passed away a month ago and her and my dad had joint tenancy on the council house they have been in for over 30 years.
My brother has always lived there and before my mum passed away they were looking into buying the house to give him some security in the future.
The tenancy has now been changed solely into my dads name and we are wondering wether it will be possible for my brother to also be put on the tenancy as well?

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    peteb93 wrote: »
    My mum passed away a month ago and her and my dad had joint tenancy on the council house they have been in for over 30 years.
    My brother has always lived there and before my mum passed away they were looking into buying the house to give him some security in the future.
    The tenancy has now been changed solely into my dads name and we are wondering wether it will be possible for my brother to also be put on the tenancy as well?
    Different Councils have different rules so the only way to find out is to ask them.
  • peteb93
    peteb93 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Different Councils have different rules so the only way to find out is to ask them.

Thanks i thought that might be the case my dad has got a meeting about the tenancy next week anyway
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why do you think owning the house would give him more security?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why do you think owning the house would give him more security?

I'm guessing because many councils only allow the tenancy to be changed once - so in the event of the fathers death the son could be made homeless.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'm guessing because many councils only allow the tenancy to be changed once - so in the event of the fathers death the son could be made homeless.

I did misread that, and thought the OP was talking about the fathers security rather than the brother.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your brother wouldn't have to be on the tenancy to be able to buy it. Your father (as potentially the sole tenant) can add your brother to his application to buy the property providing that your brother has lived in the house as his main or principle home for the 12 months before the date of application.

Therefore, they will be able to buy it together and own it jointly (either as joint tenants or tenants in common).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure